Author Topic: Chrome update - now can't use sandbox  (Read 2527 times)

ccloudnine

Chrome update - now can't use sandbox
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
I usually run chrome in the sandbox "Always run in sandbox" with Avast 5.XXXX (latest before 6.0).  I update chrome from the chrome about box while in the sandbox and didn't get any errors.  I then start chrome in the sandbox and couldn't get out to the internet... out of the sandbox it works fine.  I uninstalled/installed chrome and it still can't get to the internet from within the sandbox.  I update Avast to 6.0 and still can't get out when in the sandbox.  Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Chrome update - now can't use sandbox
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
I don't have the sandbox, but I don't think it is updating a program within it will work as essentially it won't stick as that would require registry changes etcetera and the whole point of the sandbox is to isolate the program from the live system.

So I think you need to clear the sandbox contents and update chrome outside the sandbox and then load it into the sandbox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

Re: Chrome update - now can't use sandbox
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
I don't have the sandbox, but I don't think it is updating a program within it will work as essentially it won't stick as that would require registry changes etcetera and the whole point of the sandbox is to isolate the program from the live system.

So I think you need to clear the sandbox contents and update chrome outside the sandbox and then load it into the sandbox.
I have the Sandbox on my XP Pro system and I would not dream of trying to update Chrome inside the Sandbox.
From the Sandbox Help
Sandbox
The avast! Sandbox is a special security feature that allows you to browse the web, or manually run another application, in a completely safe environment, isolated from the rest of your system.

This is especially useful when visiting potentially infected websites, or if you suspect an application may be infected - you can run the program (or your web browser) inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe, while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.