Author Topic: am unable to download EXE files from internet after upgrading to Avast 6  (Read 10045 times)

kstev99

I noticed this same problem recently when trying to download a Comodo Firewall update AND an Acronis True Image Update.  Both were .exe files and they download as Zero byte files.  I've also noticed that my Admuncher program that usually updates itself several times a day has stopped updating since July 4. 2011.  That was the day that I updated Avast Free to the most recent version.

I have tried disabling all of the shields, still ZERO byte downloads for .exe files.
I also use Malwarebytes and Comodo Firewall.  I have tried disabling all with no luck.
I found this thread while searching for a solution, and I am beginning to think that Avast may be the culprit.  I have used Avast for years, but may try a complete uninstall to see.  I did use MSE for a few months, but came back.  I hope that if this is a problem with the AV, that I can continue to use it, as I do prefer over MSE.  I just know that something is causing the download of .exe files to result in 0 byte files.  This is with Firefox 5 and IE9 on Win7 system.  No spyware/viruses detected by MBAM, or avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
As mentioned on the previous page avast doesnt block it scan's and alerts so if you cant download any exe files i would ask if you have applied exclusions to avast and comodo ? are you using defence + ?
Have you used the correct removal tools to delet the remains of other av's you have used in the past http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:09:34 AM by craigb »

kstev99

I know Avast should give an Alert, as should Comodo. I don't think that it is Avast alone, but some sort of conflict that began on the day I updated to  6.0.1203. 

Yes, I am using Defense+, and Comodo sandbox, but I have the Avast sandbox & webrep disabled.  I downloaded the MSE uninstaller from thewebatom.net, not sure I needed it for MSE, it seems to have uninstalled ok on it's own but maybe there were some reg entries remaining.

As far as exclusions, I have added the entire Avast folder as trusted files in D+ and All Avast executables have full rights in firewall.  Not sure what exclusions I would make in Avast.  I know I followed the Malwarebytes forum instructions for excluding avast in both MBAM & AVast, but I'm not sure what exclusions I would set for Comodo.  They've always got along ok before.  Strangely enough it's not all .exe's that won't download either, just the Comodo and Acronis files that I mentioned so far (and Admuncher updates) Downloaded the files at work, so the links are ok. I have disabled all shields, MBam,Admuncher and tried with no success.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Defence + is not needed when running avast and you can add the comodo program file to the exclusions in file system shield, exclusions are not really necessary for avast and MBAM as they play nicely, You can also try an uninstall reboot and reinstall as something may have been messed up in the upgrade. If still no luck then post back here and someone with more experiance with comodo should be able to help you out.

kstev99

Ok, I don't know what is going on, but I uninstalled (In this order) Avast / MBAM, and finally Comodo Firewall.  I used the built in uninstaller, followed by a remover specifically for the app.  I then re-installed MBAM / Comodo /Avast.

Many of the .exe files that I tried to download still resulted in Zero Byte files, even when all of my AV/Spyware programs were not present.  Must be some sort of Windows 7 (SP1) thing going on.  I use Defense+ in comodo and have UIC disabled because D+ does basically the same and is more customizable.

I prefer the COmodo sandbox over Avast's but the AV protection is the best, hands down.  Can't figure what could be blocking certain .exe files from downloading.  I have reset the IE security settings to default (I use FF).  Avast and MBAM both report a clean system, and I run Ccleaner regularly. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Try uinstalling all again and then just load Avast - do you still have the problem ?