Author Topic: Can I disable Avast's message that appears on startup...  (Read 8335 times)

amcg

Can I disable Avast's message that appears on startup...
« on: September 18, 2004, 03:03:42 PM »
Every time I boot the pc I get the same alert message from Avast telling me that NAV is installed and as such Avast has disabled its resident scanner etc... However, when I installed Avast I told it that I didn't want the resident stuff switched on precisely to avoid a clash. I want NAV for my resident scanner and Avast for my on-demand.

Please tell me how I can get rid of the message because it is very annoying to have to keep clicking it away on startup.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Can I disable Avast's message that appears on startup...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 03:08:08 PM »
Why using that memory hog Norton while you have Avast?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 03:09:21 PM »
When you go to the Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, select avast! Antivirus, press Change and choose Change again - what avast! modules are installed?

amcg

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 03:26:27 PM »
When you go to the Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, select avast! Antivirus, press Change and choose Change again - what avast! modules are installed?
Thanks for your prompt reply!

The only things with a green tick beside them are:
Skins
English Language Extension
English Help

To be clear, all "Resident protection" modules have, and have always had, a red cross.

amcg

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm not running any horrifically memory-intensive programs so it doesn't really affect me. Norton came with the pc and I thought that the combination of Norton and Avast would be quite a powerful combination.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 09:50:08 PM »
I'm not running any horrifically memory-intensive programs so it doesn't really affect me. Norton came with the pc and I thought that the combination of Norton and Avast would be quite a powerful combination.
I don't know why you would think that two crippled AV programs are better than one whole one?
Actually, 2 memory resident AV programs only conflict just like to Firewalls conflict. More, is not always better. As an Ex Norton user, I can tell you however that in my opinion, Avast! is the better choice. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
In any case, I'll check the "logic" tomorrow to see why avast! could give that warning if when the resident providers are not installed.

amcg

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 02:27:46 PM »
I don't know why you would think that two crippled AV programs are better than one whole one?
Actually, 2 memory resident AV programs only conflict just like to Firewalls conflict. More, is not always better. As an Ex Norton user, I can tell you however that in my opinion, Avast! is the better choice. :)
I don't think you have read my posts properly. I am well aware that having two resident AV programs will cause conflicts, hence the fact that I have never activated Avast's resident scanning. Norton is my resident program and I use Avast for a weekly on-demand scan. It is for precisely this reason that having the message come up every time I start the machine is so very annoying.

amcg

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 02:28:15 PM »
In any case, I'll check the "logic" tomorrow to see why avast! could give that warning if when the resident providers are not installed.
Thank you very much, it is appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 09:24:34 AM »
Why don't you shut off the avast service altogether?
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

amcg

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 10:08:27 AM »
Why don't you shut off the avast service altogether?
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yep, tried that. However the service restarted upon reboot so the message came back as usual.

whocares

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 11:40:05 AM »
try not just ShutOff, but Disabling the Service permanently ;)

amcg

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
try not just ShutOff, but Disabling the Service permanently ;)
How does one do such a thing?

whocares

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 01:48:36 PM »
you go
, then you rightclick on the avast-Service(s) and select properties, then disable the startup..

Please also read the User's FAQ in OFF-Topic-Forum here ;)

amcg

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 02:38:34 PM »
you go
, then you rightclick on the avast-Service(s) and select properties, then disable the startup..

Please also read the User's FAQ in OFF-Topic-Forum here ;)
Gotcha. Why, however, after installing and reinstalling (each time specifying that I didn't want any resident stuff installed) was I having this problem?