Author Topic: Avast Free v6 & Privatefirewall clash  (Read 13547 times)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Free v6 & Privatefirewall clash
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
So I will have to remove private firewall then. In fact I've already done. Have switched to windows 7 firewall control by sphinx-soft. That will remain for some time.
That't the best news I have read so far.  ;)

Can't remove avast. Avast will be removed from my system only when the system goes down. I mean it will go with the computer, if the computer dies ;)

Firebytes

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »
Firebytes - ditto, I've also applied everything you've done but all failed. I'll stay with Avast v5.x because w/o being able to check within PF options just too risky. I also have been using Avast for many many years and can't imagine starting to investigate which other av to use, a petrifying nightmare!

nmb - I originally understood that all going hunky-dory with Avast v6.x & PF on yr PC? Yes I've started a Support ticket with Avast and they have decided that the problem is with PF, their responses to me:

1st answer - "generally it is not recommended to use more than two antiviruses in one computer. I recommend you to use only one and uninstall the other. It causes such conflicts quite often."

2nd answer - "as I can see from their webpage http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html it is antimalware as well"

I've not responded again because it seems case closed from Avast's point of view. The fact remains, from v6.x Avast sees PF as an "anti-virus / anti-malware" prog and therefore the clash.

As far as I know Privatefirewall has no antivirus/antimalware other than the HIPS component; which many firewall have now. Maybe that is why several firewalls are having problems getting along with Avast though. It's disheartening to hear Avast support sounding as if there is no intention to fix the conflict with Privatefirewall. According to this thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294741 at Wilders Security it isn't just Privatefirewall though; Comodo, Online Armor, and Outpost firewalls also have conflicts with Avast. Hopefully the Avast team will quickly work the bugs out...or maybe they just want everyone to switch to Avast's firewall??

cadremis

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
By the way, my problem in my XP 32bits home edition computer solved, I disabled Avast temporarly and re-installed PrivateFirewall.

rm

Firebytes

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 02:10:58 AM »
I finally gave up and uninstalled Avast 6. I guess I will have to use Avast 5 until the conflict with Avast 6 and PF is ironed out.