Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1000 Sandbox "boxes" my Tax Software Updates ?  (Read 2950 times)

AZKID

Avast 6.0.1000 Sandbox "boxes" my Tax Software Updates ?
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I am currently running the Free Version Avast 6.0.1000 on my WIN7 64bit SP1, Intel I3 CPU, 4GB RAM. The last 2 software updates to my Tax Act program are being "boxed" by Avast. When I allow the updates to run in the sandbox nothing at all happens ! I don't know what I should be looking for? I expected to see some type of message saying "No Virus Detected" or Virus Detected" .... something ! What should I be seeing within the Sandbox?  ???
Any info, comments, hyperlinks appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

doktornotor

Re: Avast 6.0.1000 Sandbox "boxes" my Tax Software Updates ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
Running application updates in autosandbox will produce exactly what you have noticed: nothing at all happens. For explanation of the feature, open the GUI, go to Additional Protection - AutoSandbox tab and press F1.

AZKID

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »

Hi doktornotor

Thanks for your fast reply, but I read the help article before I posted here. It said "The browser or other application will then open in a special window with a red border, which indicates that it is being run inside the Sandbox. I don't see anything like that? Is that because its not an exe file and just an update?

Rich
[/size]

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
1/ Please stop screaming at us and leave the default font alone.
2/ Once again - you cannot run application updates in autosandbox, do not do it when prompted, allow it to run normally and your "issue" will go away.
3/ Avast! Free does NOT have full sandbox feature, that is available for paid versions only.

AZKID

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
Hello again doktornotor

I sincerely apologize for the unintentional "screaming". The forums/message boards I usually frequent use ALL CAPS to indicate shouting whereas my Bold type was used not to shout, but to highlight why I was confused? I now understand how the Sandbox functions. Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
You are welcome.  ;)

(Wrt the font - there's nothing wrong with bold if used moderately, I meant the huge font size you set in your posts. If some people need bigger letters, they set their browser accordinly. ;))