Author Topic: My friend still has Avast 5 and Avast has not alerted her to 6 yet?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline cheater87

How long does it take Avast to alert the user of a new version of the program?
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

doktornotor

Re: My friend still has Avast 5 and Avast has not alerted her to 6 yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »
Depends on your geolocation. Alerting/updating everyone at the same time would obviously just kill the mirrors.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »
Generally, it took 7 days... But seems they have increased this period as 150+ million users can't upgrade at the same time...
The best things in life are free.

Daris

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
Didn't alert me either...I just went to maintenance and clicked on Update Program...Does it give her the Option to update in the Maintenance  "Update"

Offline cheater87

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:16 AM »
Yes it does give her a notice that a new version is available. But shes more comfortable with an auto update.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:24:41 AM »
Yeah I was shocked when I checked my mom's laptop and saw 5.1.889, Of course
I updated it for her, but I was shocked she hadn't got an update notification.
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Daris

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 04:49:39 AM »
It is your choice if you want to Upgrade to the new version...That is why if you choose to update to the new version .....you can go to maintenance and click update...They leave this up to the users because of compatibillity problems or issues with certain software that each user might have installed...Example...The old version of Avast did not have any issues with Comodo Firewall...If a person is using Comodo firewal they might not want to update to the new Avast and keep the old one so that they can keep Comodo....This is just an example....I still know people who are using the 4.8  version of Avast because of the software they're using and don't want the new version...So Avast will not send pop ups to update .....you have that choice...
Cheers and Safe surfing!!!!

speckledbird

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:12:15 AM »
My mothers computer, windows xp, X64, sp3, has been getting the alert for a couple weeks.  She has been clicking for it to remind her later.  My idea to wait.

With the scare I got on saturday, when the new Avast 6.0.1000 cause me much grief, on my desktop.

I am having her wait until 6.0.1035 is offered and not as a beta.  After the bugs have been worked out. 

I appreciate Avast, but we will wait.  Patiently!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »
Well it should have notified as there is no automated program update, it is set to Ask (as with the VPS updates), as a program update is going to take longer and isn't something that you want to do in the middle of something important.

So there would be an pop-up notification of a program update being available, I don't know if this repeats again if the original pop-up is ignored or not seen, or what that delay might be before getting the update notification again.

The use of the manual update is really no different from the auto update notification, as you have to click the pop-up to accept the update download and installation. Basically the same as initiating it from the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Avast Updates For Program

This assumes default settings for Avast: Daily AV Definition Updates are set to "Automatic," and Program Updates are set to "Ask when available."

I have asked similar questions, and was told the following about update notices:

For a version where the first number DOES NOT CHANGE: (i.e Avast 5.0 to 5.1) Update are often pushed out within 7 days of final release.  The update pop-up notifications will begin within 7 days of a national role out. (Unless techs hold it back for bugs.)  When the pop-ups for program updates come out, you will get at least 1 notice every 12-24 hours until you manually update or turn  "Ask when update is available" off.

For a version when the first number DOES CHANGE: (i.e Avast 5.0 to 6.0)
Updates may take up to 6 MONTHS to get a pop-up notice to work out bugs, because when that first number changes, things are huge with regard to changes in most cases.  It may be as little as 4-6 months, but it takes that long a time to get all the hardware, software, home/business environments ready to the new version.

Pop-ups for new versions if set to "ASK WHEN UPDATE IS AVAILABLE" will tell of a new program release within a maximum of six months time. When the first number changes in an Avast program, such as going from version 5 to 6, there will probably be about 3-4 builds released before the update pop-up notice for version 6 shows up.  (According to release history, there were 7 builds for version 5-Beta's and Release Candidates don't count for public release builds.)

By the time a pop-up notices shows for a new version, you can be pretty certain that the major bugs have been worked out, and it is working. (Although Avast version 6.0 is working great for me!)

Side-Note: Pop Up notices for license key renewals show up about 10 days before the expiration date.

You will also get a notice in the Avast interface when a new version of the program comes out.  This may be a long time before the pop-up notice for the program shows up.  Two questions that I don't yet know:

1.) Has Avast started the pop-up notices for Version 6?

2.) I have Avast 6.0.  Will I be getting notices for subsequent updates to 6.0 through the pop-up notifications, or will those remain in the program's GUI for about 4-6 months when the pop-ups come out?

Jack

PS. Techs should correct any information here and sticky topics like this.  Along with a Web Rep Problems Thread for Avast 6 users.  That would be awesome!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:54:38 PM by Jack 1000 »