Author Topic: AVAST 6 Free has crashed my system and ruined my day.  (Read 16758 times)

RedRaleigh

AVAST 6 Free has crashed my system and ruined my day.
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:10 PM »
My computer has been running perfectly for years (really, years). Tried to install Avast 6 Free. Just before finishing install I got a BSOD. Rebooted. System took 5 minutes to load fully to my desktop. (XP SP2). Avast did not load on restart but installed folder in Start..Programs..there was no uninstall. Was finally able to go online and dl the uninstall utility. Booted into safe mode and ran it (although I think I ran it with the default for Avast 4). Rebooted. Took longer than usual to reboot, my system is now slower than it's ever been, I get momentary lockups and need to know how to completely remove this program or at least get my system back to where it was (running perfectly). Should I try a system restore?

Mayflower

Re: AVAST 6 Free has crashed my system and ruined my day.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
No system restore!

Try http://www.appremover.com/

I hope you will try Avast 6 free again.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
My computer has been running perfectly for years (really, years). Tried to install Avast 6 Free. Just before finishing install I got a BSOD. Rebooted. System took 5 minutes to load fully to my desktop. (XP SP2). Avast did not load on restart but installed folder in Start..Programs..there was no uninstall. Was finally able to go online and dl the uninstall utility. Booted into safe mode and ran it (although I think I ran it with the default for Avast 4). Rebooted. Took longer than usual to reboot, my system is now slower than it's ever been, I get momentary lockups and need to know how to completely remove this program or at least get my system back to where it was (running perfectly). Should I try a system restore?

Hi and welcome to the forums:  :)
I would suspect you do need to run again and chose v.6 to Clear(Run in SAFEMODE). Also I have found it takes a couple of reboots to get everything settled in. :-\
Why SP2 and not SP3??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »
No system restore!

Try http://www.appremover.com/

I hope you will try Avast 6 free again.
Strange... It was downloaded 0 times ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
Did you use any other antivirus before avast? Which one? How did you uninstall it?
Any other security program that could interfere?

RedRaleigh

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:01 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forums:  :)
I would suspect you do need to run again and chose v.6 to Clear(Run in SAFEMODE). Also I have found it takes a couple of reboots to get everything settled in. :-\
Why SP2 and not SP3??

OK. Will try. Thanks

RedRaleigh

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:55 AM »
Did you use any other antivirus before avast? Which one? How did you uninstall it?
Any other security program that could interfere?

Yes.
Vipre 4.0
Used their uninstall.
No.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
RedRaleigh, I can't see other reason for avast to crash besides a conflict with another antivirus or security program or remains of an old installation (not very well uninstalled).
Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip), rename it with an unique name, them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

silviucc

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
Obligatory "Dude, where's your backup?" question.

I do not mean to sound cheeky, but, changing anything that installs drivers (yes AVs do install drivers) has the potential to mess up one's system. An external drive is not expensive. Get a nice 500GB one and provided you do not keep all your eggs in one basket, your C: drive should be 80GB max. A drive like that would go for many many many backups since apart from the first one the rest should be incremental.

No, you do not have to buy a disk imaging util, there are free ones out there. Macrium Reflect Free is one such product with lots of praises. (tho, the free version does not do incremental backups). Image your C: drive before a potential dangerous "move" and there, you're good to go. Why in this day and age people keep going "commando" with their systems, boggles my mind. Want fast backup for your daily office docs and whatnot? Dropbox gives you 2GB storage for free. Files get synced whenever they are modified and I think they have file version feature too.

RedRaleigh

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
Obligatory "Dude, where's your backup?" question.

I do not mean to sound cheeky, but, changing anything that installs drivers (yes AVs do install drivers) has the potential to mess up one's system. An external drive is not expensive. Get a nice 500GB one and provided you do not keep all your eggs in one basket, your C: drive should be 80GB max. A drive like that would go for many many many backups since apart from the first one the rest should be incremental.

No, you do not have to buy a disk imaging util, there are free ones out there. Macrium Reflect Free is one such product with lots of praises. (tho, the free version does not do incremental backups). Image your C: drive before a potential dangerous "move" and there, you're good to go. Why in this day and age people keep going "commando" with their systems, boggles my mind. Want fast backup for your daily office docs and whatnot? Dropbox gives you 2GB storage for free. Files get synced whenever they are modified and I think they have file version feature too.

Thanks. I have two 2TB external backup drives (one is a backup of the backup!) and I make daily differential backups and weekly full backups plus a complete sector-by-sector backup routinely.

RedRaleigh

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
RedRaleigh, I can't see other reason for avast to crash besides a conflict with another antivirus or security program or remains of an old installation (not very well uninstalled).
Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip), rename it with an unique name, them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

The \windows\minidump folder is empty and there is no memory.dmp file in my Windows folder. I re-ran the uninstaller utility (this time selecting avast 6 free) and it appears to have fully removed it. I ran a registry cleaner, rebooted a few times and (fingers-crossed) I seem to have my system back to pre-avast status. I won't try it again.

silviucc

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
If you feel like troubleshooting this further there is a Vipre removal tool at:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/cs&vclean.exe

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
Staying with XP SP2 will not help you with any other anti virus application!
Stay here if you want help.

How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

RedRaleigh

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
Staying with XP SP2 will not help you with any other anti virus application!
Stay here if you want help.

How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

Thanks. Before avast I evaluated, at various times: Norton 2011, AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, F-Secure, ESET, G Data, BitDefender and a few others I can't recall at the moment. Not one of them crashed my system. I always used revo uninstall to make sure every bit was uninstalled, checked the registry myself and also ran any uninstall utility provided from the vendor before trying a new program. So, I'm not sure why you think SP2 is the problem..? As I said in my first post, my system runs beautifully.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
RedRaleigh, why didn't you upgrade to SP3?
Any failure in removing old antivirus could have an impact on avast (or any other antivirus installation).