Author Topic: AVAST 6 Free has crashed my system and ruined my day.  (Read 16693 times)

doktornotor

Re: AVAST 6 Free has crashed my system and ruined my day.
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
The big problem we have and leads to speculation is no one has said what the malware name is ?

BV:Shutdown-J(Tr)

It's a legit removal tool, nothing infected there. I can't submit it as false positive since nothing gets moved to chest, the connection is just blocked.

There are always multiple products that will perform a computer task that you need done or want to do that are not identified by AIS as Malware.  I would rather find a program that will do what I need or want that doesn't generate a false positive.

Not when it comes to removal tools for security applications. I'd definitely not recommend any third-party tool over the one provided by the vendor.

Nesivos

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
The big problem we have and leads to speculation is no one has said what the malware name is ?

BV:Shutdown-J(Tr)

It's a legit removal tool, nothing infected there. I can't submit it as false positive since nothing gets moved to chest, the connection is just blocked.

There are always multiple products that will perform a computer task that you need done or want to do that are not identified by AIS as Malware.  I would rather find a program that will do what I need or want that doesn't generate a false positive.

Not when it comes to removal tools for security applications. I'd definitely not recommend any third-party tool over the one provided by the vendor.

Your comment above that I highlighted in red reads like you didn't understand  what I wrote.

When I wrote I would rather find a program that didn't generate a false positive I was referring to the program that Avast identified as a false positive, not Avast or in my case AIS.

To elaborate.  If AIS identifies a program as Malware I accept what AIS says and don't install the program that AIS identified as Malware or or if previously installed, uninstall it.  Then I go look for a program that will do the same things as the product that AIS identified as Malware and install it.  If AIS says good to go and I like the program I use it.  If AIS says not good to go I get rid of that program.

I was not talking about replacing AIS because it finds a false positive.

That idea would be totally inconsistent with the idea put forth in the post of mine above from which you quoted.

I don't believe in false positive override.  If your security software, in my case AIS, says its bad then I accept that and do not override it with an exclusion entry.  I replace it with another program that I like and AIS likes :)

Hope this was clearer. :)

doktornotor

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
I don't believe in false positive override.  If your security software, in my case AIS, says its bad then I accept that and do not override it with an exclusion entry.  I replace it with another program that I like and AIS likes :)

Still missing each other's point I guess. There is NO good replacement for uninstall tools such as this one.

silviucc

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
@Nesivos Dude, you're bad.

I've seen people that are technologically challenged but have not expected and Avast Evangelist to be so out of the loop. Now, be nice, put on the "Dunce" hat and stop hijacking this thread :(

doktornotor

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
If you feel like troubleshooting this further there is a Vipre removal tool at:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/cs&vclean.exe

The link above leads to Malware which AIS promptly blocked before allowing download

Status update from Avast:

Hello,
It is a false positive and it will be fixed in next VPS.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
I'd check what it was on the BSOD and what Event Viewer has to say about this incident (what caused it and why exactly).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog