Author Topic: Emergency: Need Help  (Read 19124 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Emergency: Need Help
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »
Temps are fine. Disable the monitor shutdown and see if that solves it. Also check the power settings in the bios. it may be that in the bios is set to turn the system off.

Staind

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2004, 08:39:48 PM »
Temps are fine. Disable the monitor shutdown and see if that solves it. Also check the power settings in the bios. it may be that in the bios is set to turn the system off.
What would cause a sudden change in those settings? (This hasn't happened against since last night, but ,  Zone Alarm has now jumped to 5490 attempted intrusions, 424 of which have been high rated.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:40:27 PM by Staind »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2004, 08:46:50 PM »
ZoneAlarm reports all kinds of crap and you shouldn't worry about it. If it's there, it means you are protected. Anyway, ZA reported that those intrusions are blocked... why should you worry about it now ? I bet, you can find same or similar statistics on every single computer that is connected to internet 24/7.

Again, not being able to start your system is hardware problem, it has nothing to do with those intrusions ZA has reported. Especially, no one can change settings in your BIOS remotely, unles he's not in front of your computer. If you don't think so, well... good luck in searching, I tried to point you to the right direction. You said you need help (thread topic), so we are trying to help you.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:51:16 PM by Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 09:42:59 PM »
If you don't think so, well... good luck in searching, I tried to point you to the right direction. You said you need help (thread topic), so we are trying to help you.
I don't understand why you think I am unappreciative? I said I would ask my brother to take a look at the power supply thing,  since I'm not entirely sure myself (he is a computer tech).  I was just curious how something in the BIOS would get changed since I have not changed anything in there and this is a recent problem.

Plus, my responses are directed at the people who have asked the questions.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 09:43:47 PM by Staind »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 09:49:14 PM »
No, I didn't say anything like that... did I ? It just seems like you think that power supply issue seems not so important to you, and I'm telling you that in most cases, that was the problem because people couldn't start their PCs.

Again, no one can control or change your BIOS remotely. You should check your hardware first Staind, and than you can go by the system of elimination... easiest and most painless way.

Staind

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 10:25:07 PM »
It just seems like you think that power supply issue seems not so important to you, and I'm telling you that in most cases, that was the problem because people couldn't start their PCs.
I'm not sure, the power supply could be the problem itself. But, I should check out other options first since my brother can't see my PC for a few days.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 10:30:24 PM »
That's OK, you don't have to hurry, but I'm worried, 'cause we all know that keeping your PC on with (possibly) defective power supply can lead to much worse things... burned motherboard, processor and what not... you don't wanna set your house on fire  ;D. Joking, but electricity is not for playing with..

Staind

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2004, 10:31:18 PM »
Understood, hopefully he'll be able to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

inthewildteam

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2004, 01:27:20 AM »
Are you using Edonkey or Overnet?
I use shareaza which connects to the Edonkey server. I also had it running at the time.  This could be the problem?

-> Avast! boot scan detected nothing

Craftec: thanks for the info! Glad there is nothing to worry about there :)!

I don't run any p2p programmes, but some family members do and I have noticed this behaviour with Zonealarm reports on their machines using Overnet/Edonkey.  Particularly if they are "sharing" a particular poular file at the time.

I can replicate the behaviour (on their machines) by shutting down p2p and then watching the intrusion logs as the diconnected machines attempt to re-connect.

I'm not saying this is definately your problem, but it's a possibility.

If you completely stop your p2p for 24 hrs (up and download) and check Zonealarm again, if this is the cause then the intrusions should have dropped by then.  I mean not minimise, but stop completely btw.

Staind

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2004, 04:48:25 AM »
Hi Craftec:

Is it possible that the power supply is overheating and sending out irradic/spiked power and the computer is shutting off? (this would probably require new power supply, if it was the problem?)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 04:49:02 AM by Staind »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2004, 12:12:14 PM »
Yes, that's very possible, and that's exactly what was my point as well... doesn't cost too much to replace it, and then you'll be sure.

Cheers !

Staind

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 04:05:11 AM »
Hi, new power supply installed and working great! Everything is cool (sort of literally ;)) what happened was one of the fans stopped working and I guess it overheated the power supply.  Thanks guys for helping out!

inthewildteam

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 04:10:05 AM »
Hi, new power supply installed and working great! Everything is cool (sort of literally ;)) what happened was one of the fans stopped working and I guess it overheated the power supply.  Thanks guys for helping out!

:D

Great news it wasn't the p2p programme I suggested!!!!!!!!!!  Happy downloading again.  I'll just grab my coat and leave  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 05:40:35 AM »

Great Staind, I'm very aware that young people don't like to hear "I told you.."  ;D , but... I told you that you should check those things first... sometimes, it's just that little processor fan... it doesn't stop spinning, but drasticaly decreases in number of spins... that can help overheating of your processor... of course you don't wanna see that...  ;D Sometimes it's like that with power supply fan...

I'm glad you're OK now. Happy surfing again !
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 01:20:09 PM by Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 09:38:31 PM »
Great Staind, I'm very aware that young people don't like to hear "I told you.."
I don't mind it, but I trusted you from the start. I just had free time so I could explore other options. Thanks for your help, again.