Author Topic: Avast home users programme.  (Read 6419 times)

bb head

Avast home users programme.
« on: July 20, 2003, 02:54:28 AM »
Hello all.
I recently downloaded the avast anti-virus home programme but i use it only moderately. I'm pretty new to all this software stuff and was wondering if it's possible to pause the programme so that it stays paused, even if I re-boot. I often pause the programme as I am unfortunately running my machine on limited memory and the avast programme seems to take up a sizeable chunk of memory when running.
Thanks for any help offered :)

techie101

Re:Avast home users programme.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 06:26:23 PM »
bb,

The whole purpose of Avast is to protect you.  It shouldn't be shut down when online.

However, you can remove it from the startup menu in MSCONFIG.
The On Line Protection providers (Standard/Outlook-Exchange/Internet Mail) can be shut down temporarily for the session by right clicking on the "a" icon in the tray and selection Stop On Acess and Exit.

Avast needs about 12mb for all its functions, but this really is not much.  Users in the forum seem upset about it, but it was a trade off to have Avast run more stable, and give it better detection capabilities.

How much memory are you using?  I would rather see you disable some other program/s than Avast.
 :D
Good Luck

Amerk_5

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 04:19:43 AM »
I recommend installing Starter from CodeStuff & using the Startup list over at Pacs Portal. Going by the file name (ie. SystemTray & not SysTray.exe) & looking through the list you can figure out which items are essential such as Anti-Virus & what isn't, like RealPlayer.

This link loads all items on one page - http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

This link loads a page where you can load pages letter by letter (you'll have to scroll down a little bit) - http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

bb head

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 09:47:17 PM »
Thanx for the advice, it must be something else thats eating up my memory, i have 256mb onboard but when i check in the device manager and system resources its usually at about 70% although it has been as low as 55, and i have had some problems with memory running other programmes whilst the avast has been in use. I'll just keep on disabling it for now when i boot up.

Thanks for the help lads :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 04:55:38 AM »
If 256MB isnĀ“t enought to your needs, do not try another antivirus: McAfee 'eats' more RAM, Norton too (and is worse for you Windows Registry), AVG 6.0 (free version) does not have the features os avast.
There is not another antivirus better than avast in configuration, stability and low system resourses. Believe me, I tryed all of them. ;)
Thanks to avast team. :D
The best things in life are free.