Author Topic: Possible to update VPS offline?  (Read 3632 times)

rasta

Possible to update VPS offline?
« on: September 18, 2004, 04:30:36 AM »

Hi. New here.

I have been using avast home edition on my laptop for over a year now and I am extremely happy with the program.

I just bought a new PC and I am trying to set it up right before I connect. I installed avast on top of XP SP2 but the security center says it is out of date. I guess the avast 4.1.418 comes with an outdated VPS 0424-3. This should be 0438-1.

Is there a way to update the VPS offline before I connect to the net with the PC? Or can I copy the relevant files from my laptop to the PC (I don't like this idea much)?

Thanks for your help

Avast, maties (I'll bet you've heard that one before)

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
Re:Possible to update VPS offline?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 04:47:35 AM »
First let me say welcome to the forum. The most recent VPS is 438-3 and here is the link to the update page which includes the link to download the update manually :

http://www.avast.com/eng/download/updates/index.html

and click on Update Avast! 4 VPS. I hope this helps you.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Gene Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 04:55:52 AM »
Rasta: Welcome to the forum. You have a couple of options (at least) here. You can go on line and update with your current version. I doubt much can happen since you have a relatively current version.
The way I do it when I want to add avast to another computer, is to download from the web site to disk the current version on the computer I use at home, and then install from the disk onto the new computer. When you go on-line you will be fully protected from the get-go.
Moving the files from your laptop should be a simple matter of moving files to CD, assuming you have a CD-RW. Then install as above on your new one from the disk you created.
I hope one of these ways seems do-able to you. If you need more help, please post again, there are plenty of us here to assist you.

rasta

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 04:28:21 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys

I am downloading VpsUpd.exe, avast! version 4.1 right now. I suppose VpsUpd40.exe, avast! version 4.0 is the previous updater before they changed the versioning.

Thanks again. I will be back if I need any help or just to learn some more.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »
I suppose VpsUpd40.exe, avast! version 4.0 is the previous updater before they changed the versioning.

Fully right  ;)
The best things in life are free.