Author Topic: Avast 5 Help  (Read 10286 times)

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5 Help
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »
You wont have to worrie about removing c++ in safe mode, i had to replace them the other day to, delet all versions first then run ccleaner then go to the microsoft link that doktornotor supplied you and install the 2008 version for your system 86-64 then scroll to the bottom of the same page and get the 2005 version as well Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update.
You will have to do a clean install of avast after installing c++.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:50:34 AM by craigb »

ktkarona

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »
Well... I deleted the version and then ran CCleaner, but I couldn't get the C++ 2005 Redistributable to work now. Same error came up installing that as well as trying the 2008 version again... I really don't get what's wrong with this laptop, even following the instructions provided.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »
I deleted the version and then ran CCleaner, but I couldn't get the C++ 2005 Redistributable to work now. Same error came up installing that as well as trying the 2008 version again.
You shouldn't have to delete the older C++ versions.  Try reinstalling them but in normal mode (not Safe Mode), then reboot.  Don't use CCleaner in between.  See if this fixes your problem.

doktornotor

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »
As noted on the other thread, uninstalling and reinstalling all the versions you have already installed is required according to my experience.

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
As noted on the other thread, uninstalling and reinstalling all the versions you have already installed is required according to my experience.
Maybe it's a Win7 issue, but on XP-H or XP-Pro or Vista I haven't seen a problem.  Perhaps it could also be system set up too.  :-\

doktornotor

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »
Maybe it's a Win7 issue, but on XP-H or XP-Pro or Vista I haven't seen a problem.  Perhaps it could also be system set up too.  :-\

Vista/W7 is different, you won't see this issue on XP.

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
Vista/W7 is different, you won't see this issue on XP.
Yeah, I know...oldie but goodie (not referring to me of course  ;D).

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Yeah, I know...oldie but goodie (not referring to me of course  ;D).

I still have XP installed in XP Mode.  ;D

ktkarona

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
I have already uninstalled it, but trying to install it in Normal mode won't work, both versions... It keeps coming up with the error mentioned above... And I've already used CCleaner the one time mentioned with no real progress on the overall problem.

doktornotor

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Shrug. You better go ask at some MS forum, clearly not an Avast problem. (Note: doing this in safe mode worked for me.)

RussWalters

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
I've read through all these posts concerning this issue. The same issue came up on a Dell Dimension E520 with Windows Vista. (Checking it for a family friend) The PC had Avast Free 5 and was recently upgraded to 6, but the upgrade was done without uninstalling Avast 5 manually or first. The upgrade did not go well, so I uninstalled Avast, then ran their cleaner and then installed Avast 6 again. The install went fine, but a Boot Scan will stop at 5% and on either a .DOC, .XML, .PDF type file. We stop the Boot Scan and try to scan the folder these files are in and the scan will not run. Scanning other folders with Avast 6 works fine though. We've deleted some of the files the scan will appear to stop or pause on and there's no difference in results; The scan will still just hang on a .DOC, .PDF, etc.
The PC has the Vista 32 Bit OS, 1 GB Ram, 1.87 or so Processor. Also running AdAware, MalWare Bytes and Windows Defender. There WERE NO Issues until the upgrade to Avast 6 took place. How can someone say it's something else when the issue was not an issue until Avast 6?

doktornotor

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
I've read through all these posts concerning this issue. The same issue came up on a Dell Dimension E520 with Windows Vista. (Checking it for a family friend) The PC had Avast Free 5 and was recently upgraded to 6, but the upgrade was done without uninstalling Avast 5 manually or first. The upgrade did not go well, so I uninstalled Avast, then ran their cleaner and then installed Avast 6 again. The install went fine, but a Boot Scan will stop at 5% and on either a .DOC, .XML, .PDF type file. We stop the Boot Scan and try to scan the folder these files are in and the scan will not run. Scanning other folders with Avast 6 works fine though. We've deleted some of the files the scan will appear to stop or pause on and there's no difference in results; The scan will still just hang on a .DOC, .PDF, etc.

Totally off-topic here.