Author Topic: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views  (Read 34828 times)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »
Hi friends,
        Just visited kaspersky forum and got the news about their 2012 release of beta. Lets have a look at the screenshots and suggest that don't avast need some better GUI than them(Actually I like their GUI)????
         As for as my suggestion we must change the notification style and many more things in the GUI. I hereby request you all to make and give suggestions so that we can proceed further. We are talking here only about the GUI and not the features. We all know avast! leads others in performance.

So lets make the GUI of avast! so beautiful (now its beautiful too). I think you might have understood me.

SO LETS BEGIN....
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

mattburles

Re: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:05 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the current GUI  ???

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »
I think you might have understood me.
Not really.  I mean, you want to "improve the UI", I understand that.  But how/why, this I do not comprehend.  They only thing/s you mention are:
we must change the notification style and many more things in the GUI.
which is not at all specific, could you elaborate, is there something about your attached pics you would want to see implemented?

Regardless, I like Avast! already, I do not really want an "Avaspersky"

Just a heads-up...posting pics from a competitors beta here has gotten an ill reaction in the past......such as accusations of promoting it.  So if you really do want to improve Avast!, not hype Kaspersky, I do hope this is going somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:17:52 AM by Gargamel360 »

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
Avast has the best looking GUI of any security program I have ever seen. It looks good and is easy to navigate at the same time. IMO second runner up would be NIS 2010/2011. It looks cool but is more cumbersome to navigate. Besides Symantec has burned me too many times in the past. I will stay far far away from Kaspersky as its more of a pain to remove than the threats its is designed to protect you from. Symantec is bad enough Kaspersky NFW.

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

marc-d-l

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:43:18 AM »
Exactly how long do you spend looking at the GUI ? Set it forget it.Go do something else worry free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:56:21 AM »
The sample Kaspersky interface doesn't grab me any more or less than any other.
Preference is a matter of personal taste.
Haven't we only just gotten used to the new avast! UI?

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Avast has the best looking GUI of any security program I have ever seen. It looks good and is easy to navigate at the same time. IMO second runner up would be NIS 2010/2011. It looks cool but is more cumbersome to navigate. Besides Symantec has burned me too many times in the past. I will stay far far away from Kaspersky as its more of a pain to remove than the threats its is designed to protect you from. Symantec is bad enough Kaspersky NFW.

Bill

Agree Bill,

The Avast UI is just stunningly great!  The old 4.8 GUI had that car radio look, and than when 5.0 came out the GUI was like....WOW!  You can tell the amount of time and great effort that the design team put into this.

The only thing that I would change is kill the "Like Avast" button in version 6.  To me, that looks tacky.

Jack

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:03 AM »
I used KAV and NAV in the past, and I much prefer the GUI of Avast any day.  In recent years, KAV has added too many graphics on the GUI, which is not needed (and slows the system down).  And I totally agree with the previous posts about KAV and NAV being a PITA to uninstall after having to do them on many machines.  I say stick with the Avast GUI.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 08:25:03 AM »
Actually, I dislike the KAV/KIS colors, yeah pretty subjective matter anyway, as already noticed. The only thing that matters here is that the GUI should be easy to navigate and not confusing (like the media player one with avast v4), so that users don't get lost. For me, the avast! GUI is just fine as it is.

princesiva

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
i also like the current avast GUI, but still it would be cool if avast changes its GUI color.. orange doesnt look that good.. it will look more cool if it was red or green..

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
orange doesnt look that good.. it will look more cool if it was red or green..

LOL.. it's called branding; green and red -> Kaspersky, red -> Avira; yellow -> Symantec/Norton etc. So, pretty sure this will not happen.  ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »
I vote for a black UI with black text.  (wait, that won't work...)

Ok, I know, 1980's Neon-green backdrop, eye-searing yellow text, white highlights(no wait, here is the money shot)......then paint the whole thing with Zebra Stripes!!!

Total win there, you must agree.

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
I vote for a black UI with black text.  (wait, that won't work...)

Hmmm, why not? Avast! Blackbox ®™ - goes nicely with (auto)sandbox. 8) ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
ashishsingh1508  There's nothing wrong with avast's GUI, it's great imo and being that this is the new look i'd say you've got two chances of changing it (none and f*** all)  :)

gonzogonzo

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
I like Avast GUI and and Avast in general (i use avast internet security with sactisfation after tested all security suite) but best gui, for me, is from Webroot Complete 2010 that is very elegant and clean.