Author Topic: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views  (Read 34820 times)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: avast! needs a new User Interface: Give Suggestion and views
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
Not a chance Avast! will change the GUI as it is made according to their new house style. As is the new webside, but also their building, offices, furniture etc. etc.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
I totally agree, the current UI is too big and not minimal. it does not even fit in netbook's screens
Even other vendors have made modern UIs for their products, i agree that Avast's UI has been improved but its now time to design a better and more modern one

Well I have a 10.1 1024x600 win7 netbook and the avastUI fits quite nicely thanks. I always use the cursor to drag it to as small a size as possible (even on my desktop 26" 1920x1200 screen). So I have some room around the avastUI screen, you can also click full screen option and that does a relatively good job on the small screen to ensure all buttons are in view if you had a problem, but I just don't see that as a problem on my little netbook.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Respected all my elders and knowledgeable persons who gave their views.
       i highly appreciate that. But don't you think when avast! 7 or avast! 6.5 would come with some new interface some new colours. How many of you won't be excited to try and feel something new? I know all of you would be excited.
Moreover I want to tell you all that with time every thing must be changed.
   Most people might still love avast! 4.8 GUI, but then also it has been changed and we love it. What about keeping the current GUI but at the same time give some option to us so that we can customize it like some skin or like that......
       Even Outpost also changed its GUI for 7.5 version. avast! stand second to none. and thats what I want in GUI also.
      Waiting for your valuable reply
Ash

I certainly wouldn't state Outpost firwall as an example as I have been using it for longer than I care to remember, from Outpost Free 1.0, bought Outpost Pro 3.0 (life-time licenses) and have got the latest 7.1 version on my desktop and netbook.

It has been without doubt one of the worst/ugliest UIs I have ever used, yet here I am still using Outpost Firewall Pro, it certainly isn't because I like the interface but who really cares about aesthetics. I have been using Outpost Firewall for many, many years as it has been a first rate firewall and my forays into the UI (which isn't that easy to navigate/find things) are few and far between.

Going by the Kas...sky images you posted, no contest I much prefer the avast 6 UI and that is without the obvious, not being able to navigate an image. The avastUI is certainly one of the better ones as far as ease of use is concerned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
There is no need to change the UI, If you want a Kaspersky looking UI then use Kaspersky.

I think ashishsingh1508 could be just a Kaspersky troll: ;)
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/enfantprovocateur.htm

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
I know we're just reaching the end of Q1, but this thread seems to have a chance to win the title... "best thread of the year"  ??? you got my vote guys ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
There is no need to change the UI, If you want a Kaspersky looking UI then use Kaspersky.

nope, just a regular troll. That's not his first attempt. The thread here should be either locked or completely deleted. Remember, he's the Indian supremacist here  ;D http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.msg610640#msg610640

ps: he's even pm'ing people to offer his services (I'm serious)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:56:27 PM by Logos »

Nesivos

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
In fact studies have shown that the colors used in the Avast GUI are much more relaxing and comfortable to eyes than the Kaspersky GUI. :)

Eh? Comon, you're kidding, right? There's actually been a study comparing the benefits or merits of the Avast GUI colours over those of the Kapersky GUI? Please, I've got to read this study. Can you post a link.  ;D

I would say the Avast GUI is close to a Monochromatic color scheme

The monochromatic color scheme uses variations in lightness and saturation of a single color. This scheme looks clean and elegant. Monochromatic colors go well together, producing a soothing effect. The monochromatic scheme is very easy on the eyes, especially with blue or green hues. You can use it to establish an overall mood. The primary color can be integrated with neutral colors such as black, white, or gray. However, it can be difficult, when using this scheme, to highlight the most important elements.

Pros:    The monochromatic scheme is easy to manage, and always looks balanced and visually appealing.

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html

Soothing Stress with a Monochromatic Palette

The good news is that residential remodeling has begun its comeback, and Suellen Gregory, an interior designer from  Richmond, VA, reports that her customers are now requesting monochromatic palettes in their homes. Looking at a single, soothing palette offers them relief from all the stresses we are under ITE (in this economy).  Her people want to uncomplicated their lives with simple color schemes, like all pale blue, or pale green, or the white and gold shown below. Happily her customers are using Niermann Weeks in these remodels. In Charlottesville she placed our Bowfront Commode within the flow of curtains along a wall.

http://www.niermannweeks.com/soothing-stress-with-a-monochromatic-palette/

Red and stress

Red color of all the colors of the spectrum has the strongest physiological reaction - that is, heart palpitations. The red color will not let you pass by, he immediately attracted attention. Red causes strong emotions. The nature of these emotions strongly depends on the situation, but no matter what the association contacted you with the red one is not in doubt: these emotions are very strong. This color can directly affects you and does not leave indifferent.

Use red paint to your painting if you are feeling depressed in order to boost your energy! However, the abuse of this color is not worth it: it can bring aggressiveness and irritation.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Reduse-The-Stress-Painting
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:14:16 PM by Nesivos »

zerospam

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
Avast needs to pay closer attention to quality, and much less attention to how the UI looks.

In particular, bugs that cause significant system malfunctions (e.g., problems with system startup, BSODs, lockups, problems with specific applications) should be much rarer than they are.

I buy an antivirus to stop viruses while minimizing side-effects, not to look at a beautiful UI.

Please, Avast, improve the product's core quality.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:30:14 PM by zerospam »

YoKenny

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
Avast needs to pay closer attention to quality, and much less attention to how the UI looks.
A post from a spammer! ;D ;D

privateofcourse

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
I would say [...]

Yes, that's exactly why I responded. And I'm really not trying to pick a fight with you, Nesivos. Just that...well, okay, I couldn't resist responding to such a bold claim.  :)

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html
http://www.niermannweeks.com/soothing-stress-with-a-monochromatic-palette/
http://hubpages.com/hub/Reduse-The-Stress-Painting

Yes, all very interesting, but not exactly an Avast vs Kapersky GUI colour study. To be fair though, I can see that some colours may affect people in different ways, and some colours may be more pleasing than others, but that's all it amounts to...individual preference and character. Looking at the gazillions of available skins for all sorts of software around the net it would be fair to conclude that there's no hard fast rule that fits or suits everyone.

Anyhow, hope you don't take it the wrong way.

ImWarm

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
IMO: avast's GUI is the easiest to navigate by far. However, I think that there is too much blank/white space on the "Summary" page. That's my only complaint for the GUI.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:36 AM »

nope, just a regular troll. That's not his first attempt. The thread here should be either locked or completely deleted. Remember, he's the Indian supremacist here  ;D http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.msg610640#msg610640

ps: he's even pm'ing people to offer his services (I'm serious)

Thanks for so precious comments. Logos you are back on that topic???
   I just asked here for suggestions from the users about the change in UI nothing else. Do you all think that avast UI is impossible to be made more simpler that now????????
     @ Logos -I am not any supreme.... I am a normal human and so I respect my elder and same way I respect you and every one here. But at the same time I cannot tolerate any ill saying about my country or my countrymen. Not only my but any country.

By the way, i think and believe that we can certainly make a better and easier UI than any other antivirus in the world by uniting the experience here from all the users their difficulty faced their suggestions.
     I saw 100 views in just 10 minutes after I created this shows how much this topic attract people. And how much they are concerned about it.
        Its just my believe

Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

spede1

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 06:11:39 AM »
I wouldnt mind the interface having some Windows 7 transparency to it but other than that the interface is great.  I especially like the way the Firewall Applications Rules are laid out.  And with WebRep being added I've pretty much left Norton IS behind.

Hermite15

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »
@ashishsingh1508 Avast UI is amazingly good, and you're pissing everybody off here ::)

ps: I do not respect you. Why? you're not respectable.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:47:11 AM by Logos »

thisiscool

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
if avast will have a good looking GUI, but it's virus detection will be bad, i promise, no one will use it (hope it won't happen).