Author Topic: Where to download avast version 5  (Read 4112 times)

AnnieMS

Where to download avast version 5
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
I purchased an avast prof license for 4.8 and renewed it for the next year, by which time it was version 5. I just had to reinstall windows xp on my tablet pc. I have a copy of my avastic.license file backed up, but I don't see a back up of the avast 5 download and I can't find it online to download. All I can find online is version 6. Is my license good for 6 prof? I have 4.8 backed up [somewhere], but will it sych OK w/ the automatic update servers?

doktornotor

Re: Where to download avast version 5
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »
v4 license needs to be converted - just go to http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
Is my license good for 6 prof? I have 4.8 backed up [somewhere], but will it sych OK w/ the automatic update servers?
Use the link provided in the previous post if you do not have or remember your license.

I suggest that since you are going from 4.0 to 6.0 that you do an Avast uninstall and clean install:

1. Save a copy of Avast 6.0.1000 and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab5 - click on "Download My Product"
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions/products of Avast you had on this machine at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Pro.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

AnnieMS

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
Thanks doktornotor & SurfSafe,

I had to reinstall winxp tablet edition via "product recovery discs", so my previous avast install was wiped along w/ everything else. I copied SurfSafe's instructions in case I ever have to uninstall/reinstall avast.

The link to upgrade one's license says from version 4 to version 5, so I guessed version's 5 license would work w/ version 6 - it did. I had already done that before and had a copy of the license.avastic file that was emailed to me.

I downloaded the trial version of version 6 prof - the link is at the bottom of 6 prof's download page per SafeSurf's link and doubleclicked it to install. It had the option to install as trial version or to use the license.avastic file, which I did. It let me browse to the file and choose it.
There are 2 other options - to insert the license manually and the other I forget.

6 Prof installed w/out problem and updated its viral definitions automatically.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:26:45 PM by AnnieMS »

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
so I guess version's 5 license will work w/ version 6? 
Correct

I found a trial version of avast 6 prof at the bottom of its download page, so I'm thinking I can install that and then insert my upgraded license for 5.
Yep, should work fine.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Where to download avast version 5
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »
Glad everything worked out fine for you.  :D  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.