Author Topic: Now Avast 6.0.1027 is blocking all websites  (Read 3002 times)

boy_from_oz

Now Avast 6.0.1027 is blocking all websites
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »

This is kinda frustrating folks.  After all those hassles a few weeks ago I though Avast V6 was settling down.  As of this afternoon it updated the engine and virus definitions to 110316-1 (unsure if this went all the way through according to the progress bar - then it requested a reset - now I'm back to the same issue - I can't access the web at all unless I turn all shields off.

Do I have to try and re-install it five times in the hope one of these re-installs will fix a problem?  Why does this behaviour keep reappearing please?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Now Avast 6.0.1027 is blocking all websites
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Which is your firewall?
Any old antivirus installed before avast?
The best things in life are free.

boy_from_oz

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:18:45 AM »

Trying this now,

BTW - no old firewall - onky whater WIndows 7 has, ditto on virus scanner - it was a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on a fresh hard drive.

Let you know how the unistall, re-install goes.

boy_from_oz

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:13:44 AM »

No did all of that - still doesn't work after following all suggested steps.  What's next?

boy_from_oz

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »

Okay - did this 2 more times - third time a charm - any idea at all why it takes 3 complete Uninstall - then AIS remove - and re-installs before things are back to normal?

The install s/w's behaviour seems real weird to me...