Author Topic: 0x50 BSOD faulting aswsnx.sys  (Read 3637 times)

saru

0x50 BSOD faulting aswsnx.sys
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
As noted in the title, I woke up this morning to see a 0x50 (page fault in nonpaged area) BSOD that faulted aswsnx.sys.  Unfortunately, my computer utterly failed to save the minidump despite being configured correctly to save it.  The only recent error in the system log is one stating that the i8042prt driver failed to start -- as I'm not using any ps/2 input devices, I don't find that one overly concerning.

Potentially relevant info:
This seems to be (one of?) the modules for the sandbox.  I am also running Comodo's firewall, which also has a sandbox feature.  I'm not sure if there's a potential conflict there.
Additionally, I did have a scan scheduled to run overnight.  It's a custom scan that covers memory, auto-start programs, and rootkits (full scan).  There is a scan log from that scan that indicates no virus was found.  It seems to have taken a few minutes longer than other recent logs indicate but it isn't an amount of time I'd consider significant (roughly 13 minutes instead of 9-10).
I have been having other intermittent BSODs faulting my video driver, though they are most likely unrelated.

System specs:
XP Pro SP3 32 bit
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
4 gb of ram (XP can't see all of it as it's a 32 bit OS)
GeForce 9500 GT

If there's any other info that I can provide that would be helpful, please let me know.  If I get any crashes that actually generate a minidump I will happily provide them.  In the meantime, however, I've disabled the sandbox

Offline yowanvista

Re: 0x50 BSOD faulting aswsnx.sys
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
Please, go to folder C:\windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  Wink
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

saru

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
As I noted (I know, it's a lot of text), the minidump didn't write -- %systemroot%\minidump is a lonely and empty folder.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
Better if you can compress (zip), rename it with an unique name, them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)
Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/
The best things in life are free.

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
Uh...

Unfortunately, my computer utterly failed to save the minidump despite being configured correctly to save it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
Try manual dumping: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
More info: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html.
The best things in life are free.