Author Topic: Very promising compared to other AV products  (Read 8894 times)

Fedorov

Very promising compared to other AV products
« on: February 13, 2003, 11:27:16 AM »
I've been trialling almost all AV products over the past 2 weeks and I have to say that Avast!4Pro so far is easily up there at the top of the pile.

You now have this proper support forum which many other vendors are lacking, I like the interface (prefer Advanced, don't like gimmicky skins), and the fact that you can do pretty much everything from a right-click on the ONE tray icon :)

Personally my only reservations so far are in my own confidence to move from 10 years of Norton AV given myself and my company very reliable protection to a product that hasn't proven itself yet and should I be concerned about the VBbulleting test results?

Your addition of many more archives/unpackers in the next version will certainly make your product even better.

I happen to be very good at "seeing" noticeable (even the smallest) slowdowns in daily use of my WinXP systems, even to the point of clicking a folder in Windows Explorer and seeing how "instant" the files appear in the right-window - with some AV products I tested you could see there was a slight delay before the icons were fully drawn on them, with Avast it is certainly scanning everything very fast.

Keep up the good work!

Fedorov.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Very promising compared to other AV products
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 05:36:35 PM »
Fedorov,
thanks for your praise. We really appreciate it  :).

Personally my only reservations so far are in my own confidence to move from 10 years of Norton AV given myself and my company very reliable protection to a product that hasn't proven itself yet and should I be concerned about the VBbulleting test results?

It's perfectly understandable that you're little afraid to switch to something else, but on the other hand you probably have a reason to dump Norton as you're trialing its competitors ("almost all of them" ;) ) (ever heard of Anselm's onthological proof of God's existence? [e.g. http://www.utexas.edu/courses/hilde/Philhandouts/anselm.html]).

The VB tests are indeed important (to both you and us), but unless you are a VB subscriber and can read the whole articles, they're of limited use. I mean, what gives if a program misses one single sample in a set of 25,000 infected files, and this sample is so tweaked and obfuscated that your probability of ever seeing it is < .000001.  ??? The fact is that whoever gets the samples before the test begins, wins (and whoever doesn't, usually fails)...  :D

I happen to be very good at "seeing" noticeable (even the smallest) slowdowns in daily use of my WinXP systems, even to the point of clicking a folder in Windows Explorer and seeing how "instant" the files appear in the right-window - with some AV products I tested you could see there was a slight delay before the icons were fully drawn on them, with Avast it is certainly scanning everything very fast.

Well, in fact the current version of avast 4 doesn't perform so well. The core of the problem is not in high memory consumption (as was many times suggested, mainly on Wilders forums) but rather high rate of page faults (see the Page Faults column in the Task Manager). This is something we're aware of and are planning to fix in the next major release...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Fedorov

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 10:13:56 PM »
Incidentally, where on your site do I find the other skins I 've seen on your What's new page (the shiny silver skin on the left).

Thanks, Fedorov.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 01:27:13 PM »
Sorry that the links from the program still don't work. The correct URL is http://www.avast.com/skins .

There is only one skin there at the moment, but we have a couple more ready to be posted shortly...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.