Author Topic: problem with update avast free antivirus  (Read 15968 times)

arjun_vas2005

problem with update avast free antivirus
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »
hi frnds,

am not able update avast free antivirus even manually.

error saying as cannot connect to server.

help me out how to update software.

Arjun

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: problem with update avast free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:48:36 AM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Also check the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings and check the Direct connection (no proxy) if you don't use a proxy to connect to the internet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

arjun_vas2005

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
thanq for replying.

im not using any firewall.

am using proxy connection and i checked with  direct connection and proxy setting for update as you said but still not updating.

what shall i do now?

arjun

Mc_User

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
... I`ve got the same problem. Firewall ok, Internet connection ok. But Avast does update automatically - last update was yesterday 6:20 pm. Manual update attempts do not show any result. It seems that the program cannot connect to the update server....

Mc User

Mc_User

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
Sorry, there was a mistake...

.. I`ve got the same problem. Firewall ok, Internet connection ok. But Avast does NOT update automatically - last update was yesterday 6:20 pm. Manual update attempts do not show any result. It seems that the program cannot connect to the update server....

Mc User

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
.. I`ve got the same problem. Firewall ok, Internet connection ok. But Avast does NOT update automatically - last update was yesterday 6:20 pm.

Considering that latest VPS is 100317-1 from yesterday, I don't exactly see what's the problem.  ???

Mc_User

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Well, the last update I received was VPS 110317-0. So I expected VPS 110317-1 for this morning. Normaly avast checks every 4 hours. Not so yesterday evening and today.

So I tried to update manually - and this does not work at the moment.

Mc User

bobo1

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
Did you have any other antivirus on your computer before using avast?. If you did how did you remove it?(NORTONS?SYMANTEC & MACAFEE HAVE FULL REMOVAL TOOLS) Essential to get rid of all traces in the registry. What op system are u using?

Mc_User

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
Yes, I work with Threadfire, as well. But now my machine is ok again. Avast just updated with VPS 110318-0 automatically. And I checked the manual option - works now well, too.

I guess there was a temporay problem with the update-server. I am happy now.

But I do not know whether arjun_vas2005 is happy, as well. Actually, he adressed the problem first.

Best wishes
Mc User

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
im not using any firewall.

am using proxy connection and i checked with  direct connection and proxy setting for update as you said but still not updating.

what shall i do now?

I read this as your are using a proxy to connect to the internet, is that correct ?

If so then you need to enter the proxy setting into the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings, check the Specify proxy server option and enter the details of the proxy you use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jackie339

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »
I get a Microsoft popup window (vista OS) that says AVAS! Antivirus update stopped working and was closed.  The latest program was updated but can't update either manually or automatically.  Any solution from my end?

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
@ jackie339,

Try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  It may also fix itself on the next update as well, but keep us posted.  Thanks.

J3QQ

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
Hi everybody!
My avast doesn't want to update: can't connect to a server. But manual "ping" shows that server is online and OK. I've stopped all firewalls (ashampoo and windows's one), reinstalled avast and I've nevere used other AV except avast. BTW, with avast 5 there were no problem with update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
The ashampoo firewall in the past has proven to be a pain in this regard. Read my first reply and confirm it is allowed and if so delete the entry for it and see if that works.

Of those who had this problem and ashampoo firewall, when it was uninstalled no problem.

J3QQ

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
The ashampoo firewall in the past has proven to be a pain in this regard. Read my first reply and confirm it is allowed and if so delete the entry for it and see if that works.

Of those who had this problem and ashampoo firewall, when it was uninstalled no problem.

I stopped ashampoo at all, but it  doesn't help.