Author Topic: problem with update avast free antivirus  (Read 15917 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: problem with update avast free antivirus
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
The ashampoo firewall in the past has proven to be a pain in this regard. Read my first reply and confirm it is allowed and if so delete the entry for it and see if that works.

Of those who had this problem and ashampoo firewall, when it was uninstalled no problem.

I stopped ashampoo at all, but it  doesn't help.

I don't think stopping it works as the underlying drivers, etc. will still be running and that could still have an effect.

So please try what was suggested in my Reply #1 above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
A year or so ago this happened to me,

I think it was a duration of 24 to 48 hours before the servers updated.  I did not do anything to Avast, or the computer, and it just started working again.  I would not worry about it for 24 hours. Maybe you have some server downtime.  If you are into that second day of 48 hours, than try a Repair of Avast:

Windows Control Panel-Avast-Click Remove- Click Repair.

If one of the servers is down, you won't be able to do anything for an Avast update, until it is back up again.  If you don't get something by tomorrow morning, I would be concerned at that time.

Jack

J3QQ

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
I tried: I removed all avast rules from ashampoo. But then ashampoo doesn't see that avast tries to make an internet connection. Then I stopped ashampoo, disabled it in autorun in msconfig, so after reboot there was no ashampoo processes, but avast's update didn't work. It seems that the only way to fix the problem with update is uninstall ashampoo...

J3QQ

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
Windows Control Panel-Avast-Click Remove- Click Repair.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, still can't connect. Thnx.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
I tried: I removed all avast rules from ashampoo. But then ashampoo doesn't see that avast tries to make an internet connection. Then I stopped ashampoo, disabled it in autorun in msconfig, so after reboot there was no ashampoo processes, but avast's update didn't work. It seems that the only way to fix the problem with update is uninstall ashampoo...

That is what we have seen on many occasions in these forums with ashampoo firewall blocking avast update. I would certainly consider enabling the windows firewall and uninstalling ashampoo and see if you can get updates to work. If that works then choosing a different firewall would be the way to go.

Many forum users are using these:
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.

- PrivateFirewall, http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

- Outpost Free Suite 7, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Whilst this is a suite, when you install it, it detects avast and asks if you have it installed, answering Yes will mean it doesn't install the antivirus, anti-spyware and web control modules to maintain compatibility.

Should you choose Outpost.
- Outpost Exclusions - Whilst Outpost would have you exclude its folder from avast scans, I don't feel that is required, if outpost is running in its compatibility mode with no anti-spyware and no web control modules running.

Personally other than a single file exclusion I don't believe you need exclude the Outpost folder, I haven't in all of the time that I have been using avast and outpost together and that is many years.

This is the file and path that I have in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions section, C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall Pro\wl_hook.dll (easiest it to copy and paste this full path). This file is as its name implies a hooking tool that outpost uses to monitor activity also and is the only file where I ever had any issue with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Yea, mine hasn't updated since yesterday, late afternoon.  No error messages, just hasn't updated.  The last attempt on the GUI it said was 52 minutes ago.

Maybe with it being the Easter Holiday, they aren't releasing the typical two updates that we usually get each day.  But these things usually work themselves out. 

Avast has hundreds and hundreds of servers around the world, and I would suspect there is downtime in some areas.

If other people are having the same problems, it's not you, or your computer, it's the servers.

Jack

J3QQ

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »
That is what we have seen on many occasions in these forums with ashampoo firewall blocking avast update.

Thanks for a complete answer. I uninstalled ashampoo and now avast update works! The only question i still have - why previous avast version lived together with ashampoo in peace and harmony.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »
Yea, mine hasn't updated since yesterday, late afternoon.  No error messages, just hasn't updated.  The last attempt on the GUI it said was 52 minutes ago.

Maybe with it being the Easter Holiday, they aren't releasing the typical two updates that we usually get each day.  But these things usually work themselves out. 
<snip>

I wouldn't be concerned about that as essentially it isn't reporting a problem, just that there wasn't an update available.

It was only about an hour and a half ago that the first one for today was released.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
That is what we have seen on many occasions in these forums with ashampoo firewall blocking avast update.

Thanks for a complete answer. I uninstalled ashampoo and now avast update works! The only question i still have - why previous avast version lived together with ashampoo in peace and harmony.

The problem is usually only likely to rear its head when a program update occurs, but it is also possibly for it to be corruption in ashampoo firewall, were it gets a case of digital amnesia, although it might say it is allowed it is still blocked. That is why we suggest deleting the entry to try and reset this program control function.

As said before there are lots of cases like this for whatever reason ashampoo firewall is blocking the avast update, even when stopped.

Unfortunately we know nothing of the internal workings of ashampoo as to why this might happen. All that we do know is that when ashampoo is removed from the equation avast updates.

J3QQ

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
Unfortunately we know nothing of the internal workings of ashampoo as to why this might happen. All that we do know is that when ashampoo is removed from the equation avast updates.

OK. I've written to ashampoo about this. :)

jackie339

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
@ jackie339,

Try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  It may also fix itself on the next update as well, but keep us posted.  Thanks.

I tried Repair and got the same MS error message on my desktop.

Then I tried Update and got the following message. "Error processing pages Please use Full update"

My laptop updates fine using the same Vista OS.

J3QQ

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »

OK. I've written to ashampoo about this. :)

Got the answer from ashampoo:

Hello,

we are sorry, actually the only way to solve this problem is to remove Ashampoo Firewall Free.
Sorry we can't offer a solution for this issue.

MfG/Regards
Kay Hasbargen
Kundendienst | Support

SafeSurf

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
I tried Repair and got the same MS error message on my desktop.
Then I tried Update and got the following message. "Error processing pages Please use Full update"
I need additional information from you:
1.   What version of Avast did you install?  6.0.1091 - this is the latest version
2.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?
3.   How do you connect to the Internet?
4.   Did you recently upgrade to this version of Avast or do a clean install?

wirhock

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
try this:
first disable Avast self protection, copy avast.setup to avast.setup.exe, enable protection.
disable automatic update and copy a link to avast.setup.exe to startup folder or write a key to registry autorun. not the best solution but works. i think ashampoo cant identify .setup extension as executable maybe that causes the problem. sorry for my poor english.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Aside from you are replying to a topic that over 6 months old, I think that the ashampoo firewall is effectively abandoned, no development. A security application that is no longer developed as far as I'm concerned is no longer a security application but dead.

From the Ashampoo web site it shows Version 1.20, 10 04 2007 is the latest version of the Ashampoo free Firewall.