Author Topic: Mail shield and outlook express  (Read 4750 times)

cagor

Mail shield and outlook express
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
I have not been able to send/receive emails due to error message 0x800ccc90 - cannot connect to server. After a lot of googling :D I found several suggestions of turning off Avast mail shield. Yes it does work, but I really don't want to go down that road. Can anyone suggest another way around it please. Thank you

doktornotor

Re: Mail shield and outlook express
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »
Do NOT enable SSL/TLS in your email client settings. Leave the ports at normal as well (25,110,143)

cagor

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »
Thank you Doktornotor, I have checked those and they're ok. If necessary, I'll just turn off the mail shield for a few seconds to enable me to read the emails, then turn it back on - quickly!  ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
If necessary, I'll just turn off the mail shield for a few seconds to enable me to read the emails, then turn it back on - quickly!  ;D

This really is not any solution. So does it actually work or not? If not, post the screenshot of account settings in your email client.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:06:36 AM »
Thank you Doktornotor, I have checked those and they're ok. If necessary, I'll just turn off the mail shield for a few seconds to enable me to read the emails, then turn it back on - quickly!  ;D
Turning on the mail shield after the mail has been downloaded will accomplish nothing. It scans while the mail is coming in. After it's on the disk, the file shield takes over.

nsimms

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
I have the same problem with Windows live mail. I downloaded the latest edition of Avast (6.0.1000)recently for my wife's computer and found her email was blocked by it. I have no problem getting her email with the same settings on my own computer with an earlier version of Avast (5.1.889). When I turn off Mail Shield the problem disappears. Any ideas ?

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
I have the same problem with Windows live mail. I downloaded the latest edition of Avast (6.0.1000)recently for my wife's computer and found her email was blocked by it. I have no problem getting her email with the same settings on my own computer with an earlier version of Avast (5.1.889). When I turn off Mail Shield the problem disappears. Any ideas ?

Once again, you need to post the screenshot of the settings.

nsimms

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the Server and Advanced tabs

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
Well, that looks correct, so please explain better what you mean by "found her email was blocked by it." Also, a screenshot of AvastĀ“s mailshield SSL accounts tab would help.

nsimms

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
Thanks for that.

Blocked email = the error message 0x800ccc90 referred to by the original poster above.

I attach a shot of the SSL tab as requested.

I presume the swiss CH server is linked to UPC mail in some way

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
I would suggest to delete all the accounts in the Avast GUI, restart the email client and see if it helps.

nsimms

Re: Mail shield and Windows Livel Mail - Clash with Norton Symantec
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
I did that and then I noticed the error message had expanded to refer to a clash with Norton.

It was not enough to disable Norton anti-virus, you have to uninstall Norton Internet Protection completely. Then it worked.

Sorry for not spotting that before.

doktornotor

Re: Mail shield and Windows Livel Mail - Clash with Norton Symantec
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
It was not enough to disable Norton anti-virus, you have to uninstall Norton Internet Protection completely. Then it worked.

:o Consider yourself pretty lucky to not have ended up with reinstalling your box.  :o

(And yeah, disabling it certainly is not enough, you cannot have two realtime AVs installed on the same machine without conflicts, let alone together with a suite like Norton.)