Author Topic: Naming of parts...  (Read 4941 times)

kb-r

Naming of parts...
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:04:45 AM »
Good morning.

From avast! 6 Help:

"Network shield - monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network..."

Apart from the inter-net(work) I am neither associated with, nor connected to, a network.

What, therefore, in this context, is "the network"?

Regards,
kb-r

doktornotor

Re: Naming of parts...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

kb-r

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
??? ??? ???

So you don't know, either!
I thought it was possibly a stupid question, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

kb-r

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
No, I do not know what are you asking about. The thing that connects you to these forums right now is called, hmmm... network.  ::)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
This is a bit of a remnant from the avast! 4.8 where Network Shield task was TCP/IP level filtering for exploits.
Today, it does the same thing and also filters all connections (on IP and URL level).

You don't have to be on a local network (LAN) for this to work. It works even if you're connected directly to the internet.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

kb-r

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
My question was a serious one - I wanted and expected a serious answer.  If a term used in the functional description and the user documentation of a commercial product cannot be simply defined in response to a request for its meaning, then something is badly amiss.

No, I do not know what are you asking about. The thing that connects you to these forums right now is called, hmmm... network.  ::)
That's about as helpful as the silly faces.

This is a bit of a remnant from the avast! 4.8 where Network Shield task was TCP/IP level filtering for exploits.
Today, it does the same thing and also filters all connections (on IP and URL level).
You don't have to be on a local network (LAN) for this to work. It works even if you're connected directly to the internet.
That makes more sense, although I can't say that I'm totally happy.  

However, I do now suspect that the answer merely hinges on sloppy and careless language in the product descriptions and help files.

But if the obvious and definite separation of the terms "internet" and "network" in the following statements is intentional, and not just badly written documentation, I ask, again, what exactly - in this context - is "the network"?

"Web shield - protects your computer from viruses while using the internet...",  

"Network shield - monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network..."

Meanwhile, I shall leave that shield uninstalled as a possibly supernumerary component, with no sensible definition of purpose.

kb-r
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:30:16 AM by kb-r »

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
Network = ANY network, does not matter whether LAN or WAN. Leaving it uninstalled seriously lowers your level of protection, that shield is scanning things all the time, incl. DNS traffic etc.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:25:14 AM by doktornotor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
Web Shield is a HTTP proxy, i.e. it scans HTTP traffic only.
Network Shield scans whatever goes through your network adapter.

The work is split between the two somehow, they are scanning/blocking different things - neither of them is duplicate.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
??? ??? ???

So you don't know, either!
I thought it was possibly a stupid question, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

kb-r

lol ... but well done, if sarcasm intended ...anyway, I'm learning here that the Internet is no network or that it's questionable >>> thanks for the heads up ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:18:32 PM by Logos »

kb-r

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
"if sarcasm intended..."
Nothing so mean as sarcasm (and I hope it wasn't taken as such) - gentle irony, perhaps...

Other than that, I learned a long time ago that if you are not afraid to ask the stupid question that seems to have obvious answers, then dozens of others (in this case, perhaps hundreds) breathe sighs of relief and eagerly await an answer.

kb-r

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »
I got similarly confused, a little, when I upgraded from dialup to DSL.  Because I now need an ethernet connection between my computer and my router-modem, I'm in effect on a one-station local network which in turn connects to the internet.  The system now uses its onboard (Intel) network controller as part of the connection, rather than the internal modem.

My router has slots for 4 local connections ... eventually I'll get my wife's computer, upstairs, hooked into it so she can have internet access too.  Just how will be an interesting problem -- because all walls and floors here have steel fire barriers, wireless is probably not an option, and a cable would have to zigzag so much that it would probably be pushing the limits of acceptable length.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Just how will be an interesting problem -- because all walls and floors here have steel fire barriers, wireless is probably not an option, and a cable would have to zigzag so much that it would probably be pushing the limits of acceptable length.

There's also ethernet over power line, Google is your friend.  ;)

kb-r

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
I got around to making the link to the network controller, etc, and I can see where the terminology originates.

MikeBCda -
As doktornotor suggests, look to power line networking.
My son has his and his wife's systems of three, sometimes four, PCs and peripherals linked and fed completely by this method.

kb-r

PS: I turned it back on.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks for the power-line tips, that's one angle we hadn't looked at.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent