Author Topic: Cannot print Office Starter Word/Excel  (Read 17720 times)

jk9401

Cannot print Office Starter Word/Excel
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
I have installed a new PC with Office Starter (Click to Run) and the latest AVAST free anti virus (6.0.1000).  I have discovered that when the avast shield is active I cannot print from either the Office Starter Word or Excel application.  I can print from any other application.  If I disable the shield I can immeidately print without a problem.

Are there any settings that would help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot print Office Starter Word/Excel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
Does any of the printer processes are running sandboxed? You can check into Additional protection > Autosandbox > Settings.
If you disable the Behavior Shield, will the printer work?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Many new systems come with either another AV pre-installed or a Trial version pre-installed. I have seen this conflict issues with printers from having another AV installed or remnants of your previous one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

martyswan

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:30 AM »
Does any of the printer processes are running sandboxed? You can check into Additional protection > Autosandbox > Settings.
If you disable the Behavior Shield, will the printer work?
I have avast 6 pro, win7 64bit, office starter activated, 2 printers installed and test print ok, but office starter word does not print.
If the shields are disabled, the printers work ok.
It looks like other AV forums have similar problem reported.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »
@ martyswan,

Can you tell us what version of Avast 6  you have, and answer the questions to the post above yours in your next post so that we have more information to assist you?  Thank you.

avifra

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Is there a resolution to this issue? I don't see that it was resolved.
I have the same issue: just bought a wireless printer today and docs from word or excel starter edition won't print. Has definitely to do w/ Avast since I was able to print when I disabled the shields temporarily. Since this doesn't make sense, how do I fix it?

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »

nils

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
Try in the Behaviour Shield
under Expert Settings to add under Trusted Processes:
WINWORDC.EXE
EXCELC.EXE

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
Try in the Behaviour Shield
under Expert Settings to add under Trusted Processes:
WINWORDC.EXE
EXCELC.EXE
nils please take note of the date of the posts before replying.

hrova

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »
At least he was trying to provide an answer... Note, however, that the proposed fix does not work with Click to Run due to the Q: drive....

This issue has been around for 10 months, and still no answer from avast....

In the MS forums, there are many who have had luck simply by uninstalling avast and switching to MSE... I'd prefer to keep avast, but obviously, this needs to be fixed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:46:28 AM by hrova »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
This issue has been around for 10 months, and still no answer from avast....

Maybe it was resolved internally meanwhile..!?! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

hrova

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
I am not able to print with Office Starter, but if I disable avast it works fine....

Considering I have an up to date version of avast, and that none of the release notes have implied this has been fixed, and the reality that I have seen nothing indicating avast even admits this is a problem, it has not been resolved.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
I am not able to print with Office Starter, but if I disable avast it works fine....

Considering I have an up to date version of avast, and that none of the release notes have implied this has been fixed, and the reality that I have seen nothing indicating avast even admits this is a problem, it has not been resolved.

Please open a ticket here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

claprood

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:29:44 AM »
I know this an old post but it seems a lot of people are having issues with this. I am not. I have win 7 all updates, avast free latest version, and office starter oem installed.. Printing to a networked printer works just fine with avast running all shields..I have no special win firewall rules..the only thing I have done was to uninstall the trial version of office...not sure I tried printing before I did that...if I can answer any questions to help please let me know
lloyd ;D

hrova

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
the only thing I have done was to uninstall the trial version of office...not sure I tried printing before I did that...

Like you, my Windows and avast are both up to date. In looking around, it seems the Starter version (trial version) with Click to Run is the one people are having problems with. I understand Click to Run is a new concept, but I also would have expected avast to account for it.

Thank you for at least acknowledging that there are people having this problem.