Author Topic: Additional problems with Avast 6 Free and using this forum  (Read 5578 times)

rroberto18

Additional problems with Avast 6 Free and using this forum
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
In Avast 6 Free, I often get error report: SOME FILES NOT SCANNED.
These always prove to be Avast's OWN files.
Based on the above, what is the fix for this?

If you read the following, you will understand why I posted what's below here as opposed to in new, separate posts.

I also have following problems:
a) Each scan adds data to "_avast report.txt" and it gets so large -- 1.5G -- it can't be read in notepad.  Is there a fix for this?

Although registered for this site and able to log on
b) your search engine on this site wipes its results before they can be read. Do you not support Chrome browser?
c) I do not see any way to create a new post accept by trying to respond to existing post, then changing the subject head before the whole process times out.
d) I am not able to submit a ticket.
e) forum spell check doesn't work.

All these problems together make it very frustrating to use this forum in the correct manner -- and to comply with forum rules.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:40:19 PM by rroberto18 »

doktornotor

Re: Additional problems with Avast 6 Free and using this forum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
Reports and log size settings are in the avast! GUI.

a/ Hmm? Works for me.
b/ NEW TOPIC button at the top right corner.
c/ What ticket and where?  ???
d/ There is no spell check on the forum, your browser issue.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi rroberto18, welcome to the forum :)

I am guessing a little, but are these files in the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs folder?

These happens when the previous days virus definitions are cleared during the running of the scan. When the scan is started, they are called up to be scanned, but before they are scanned, avast happens to do some housecleaning and they are removed.

a) Each scan adds data to "_avast report.txt" and it gets so large -- 1.5G -- it can't be read in notepad.  Is there a fix for this?
I don't quite understand this, where are the files? What are the report file setting for each scan?

b) your search engine on this site wipes its results before they can be read. Do you not support Chrome browser?
Sorry, I don't see this, but other users here use chrome so they may be able to comment.

c) I do not see any way to create a new post accept by trying to respond to existing post, then changing the subject head before the whole process times out.
(as noted) There is a new topic button in the top right, when you view a specific board - though it looks as though you have found it.

d) I am not able to submit a ticket.
At support.avast.com? This requires a separate login to the forum, though the forum may be quicker for you with the issue.

e) forum spell check doesn't work.
I don't use the spell check button often, but just tested it and it works here...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:59:14 PM by spg SCOTT »

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
I don't use the spell check button often, but just tested it and it works here...

Where? Cannot see any spellcheck button anywhere. ??? (Mostly like IE-only junk as most of them. Regardless, spell check is bundled with decent browsers and works with many languages, as opposed to these JS gimmicks used somewhere.)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
Right next to Post and Preview...

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Right next to Post and Preview...

Ugh. I have hidden this via AdBlock quite some time ago, was just useless button I occasionally was hitting instead of preview.  ;D

rroberto18

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »
Reports and log size settings are in the avast! GUI.

a/ Hmm? Works for me.
b/ NEW TOPIC button at the top right corner.
c/ What ticket and where? 
d/ There is no spell check on the forum, your browser issue.

a) referring to reply button....It seems to generate a new post rather than add the written reply as such. See reply to question on location of report file which was "seen" by this page as a new post and not a reply (dated March 21st)

For all I know, when I attempt to do the same here, it will produce another separate post.
I am trying to post the way everyone else does, but can't be responsible when this screen does not operate as it should

b) I still do not see any "new topic button" using Chrome browser.
c) The "ticket" referred to is a ticket request for tech support. Although logged in to this forum, I receive an error message I "don't qualify" to have a ticket started,when I attempt to submit such a request.
d) Other responses indicate there IS a spell check function, but it doesn't work with certain ad blockers and I should use my browser's own spell checker. Which is what I'm doing now.

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »
a/ I don't quite understand what you are saying.

NEW TOPIC -> Start a new thread
REPLY - yeah reply, that creates a new post, pretty much expected. What's the problem? If you want to quote something, there's QUOTE for this.

b/ Well, then I wonder by what kind of miracle you managed to start a NEW thread (this one).  ;D CTRL+F and type "NEW TOPIC" there on the forum index site (such as http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0) if you still can't see despite you have already clicked it.

c/ I still don't get what ticket and where. This is a web forum, not a bugzilla. You don't create tickets here. You can start your own thread about your problem or reply in others. No "tickets".

d/ Already explained. It creates a popup, so maybe your popup blocker blocks it in browser. In either case, the spell check sucks, you the one bundled with your browser. If it doesn't bundle such functionality, may I suggest to switch to a better browser.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:08:01 PM by doktornotor »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
Regarding the ticket, are you referring to here:

http://support.avast.com ?

This needs a separate registration than the forum, i.e. you have to register again, to submit a ticket request.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
With regard to the size of your report/log files, don't forget that in the settings for each you have the option for new ones to either replace/over-write or be appended to the previous existing one. If you choose over-write, they won't be constantly growing in size.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
With regard to the size of your report/log files, don't forget that in the settings for each you have the option for new ones to either replace/over-write or be appended to the previous existing one. If you choose over-write, they won't be constantly growing in size.

I have already posted a screenshot where to set this, but since noone bothered to actually merge the threads, information got lost yet again.  >:(

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74321.msg615901#msg615901

rroberto18

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:16 AM »

These files producing log errors can be found here:

c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\definition\date\....
and end in one of 6 dll files:
algo.dll
aswcmnbs.dll
aswcmnis.dll
aswcmnos.dll
aswengin.dll
aswscan.dll

The error message for all is:
ERROR: System cannot find path specified (3)

Note I am using Avast 6, but the files it can't find have Avast5 in the pathname.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:41 AM »
Note I am using Avast 6, but the files it can't find have Avast5 in the pathname.[/b]
If you were installing Avast 6 over Avast 5, the newer version was placed in the older folder of Avast 5. So your files belong to version 6. To change the folder's name you should do a clean installation of Avast 6.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
To clean install avast:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.