Author Topic: Avast and Malwaredomains List?  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast and Malwaredomains List?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »
Any idiot can take the most recent sites from malwaredomains and then "review/test" Avast and other antivirus software makers. It's a "gotcha" game. This closes that "Avast misses zero-day" excuse of the nay sayers.
And why do you think malwaredomains does a better job than avast?
Calling avast virus analysts of idiots won't be particular true...
The best things in life are free.

jjb2012

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:01 AM »
There are several blacklists (or blocklists) of malware domains. Google Safe Browsing is the one most people probably encounter with its warning that a site is dangerous.

How do I "know"? Well, I have AIS and open Firefox and Chrome (separately) in Sandbox mode.

Then I copy several of the domains posted in the past month. Result: first time around, Avast noticed nothing. WOT got there first OR the "server reset/not found" message indicated malwaredomains filter got there.

Here's the interesting thing: the NEXT time I ran the same sequence, Avast DID detect some of them but missed the fake AVs (most antivirus programs, like Avast, seem weak on fake AVs, which always trick my wife and kids!!). The supplement to kill fake AV is MBAM (malwarebytes pro). It's the only thing I know that gets fake AVs -- a threat I think A/V makers take too lightly, IMHO.

That first time around I was able to download trojans from within the avast sandbox to my desktop. It was described as a fake AV with a rogue installer in the malwaredomains filter list.

jjb2012

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:20:21 AM »
PS: I wasn't calling AVAST virus analysts idiots, I was referring to the kids (and others) who play that gotcha game on Youtube. Zero-day detection rate (retrospective tests, av-comparatives) show that Avast has risen considerably but no one gets more than 70% of programs for which there is yet no signature.

To clarify: I wasn't referring to Avast as idiots or I wouldn't buy their product and use it -- and been virus-free -- for ten years!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
Sorry, I've misunderstood your position and overreacted.
The best things in life are free.