Author Topic: Avast Free 6.0.1 blocks op_mon.exe (file of Outpost User Interface)  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Free 6.0.1 blocks op_mon.exe (file of Outpost User Interface)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
dont install web shield and network shield(just my personal suggestion)
Very bad suggestion. Both are very important parts of avast protection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
The avast web shield is far and above the Outpost web control, there really is no comparison the web shield is in a different league.

Not to mention there is no anti-virus element to the Outpost Pro firewall so it won't be scanning for malware and detecting ads is a pathetic exchange. Not to mention the avast web shield is about the hottest detector of hacked sites and exploits around. Just browse the viruses and worms forums and you will get the idea.

Trouble is you made your suggestion as if that is what I told you to do, which I didn't.

Well in my case I first installed Outpost restarted then installed avast then again restarted. And is working for me with suggestions I provided you....
      These steps were told me by DavidR an avast Technical. And I am following this sice then. Do this after uninstalling them both and reply what happens... 
::) ::) Do clean install for both

There is absolutely nothing in the OFP that does what the network shield does.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:57:06 AM »
The avast web shield is far and above the Outpost web control, there really is no comparison the web shield is in a different league.

Not to mention there is no anti-virus element to the Outpost Pro firewall so it won't be scanning for malware and detecting ads is a pathetic exchange. Not to mention the avast web shield is about the hottest detector of hacked sites and exploits around. Just browse the viruses and worms forums and you will get the idea.

Trouble is you made your suggestion as if that is what I told you to do, which I didn't.

Well in my case I first installed Outpost restarted then installed avast then again restarted. And is working for me with suggestions I provided you....
      These steps were told me by DavidR an avast Technical. And I am following this sice then. Do this after uninstalling them both and reply what happens... 
::) ::) Do clean install for both

There is absolutely nothing in the OFP that does what the network shield does.

No I just meant that the unchecking of that "Monitor system for Modification" in behavior shield expert setting was told by you and that exclusion of wl_hook.dll(if I am right). Rest is all my own observations. Also outpost firewall does block hacked website atleast for me.
     May be they are giving some special service to me  ;D ;D (see screenshots) Also just to tell you I have not mentioned any blacklist its fron their "improvenet" cloud services which is updated in realtime(I think). Plus it blocks ActiveX contents + Ads +referer(it holds data about the previously site you visited) + javaapplets

So if these harmful elements are blocked before loading then I don't think that anything can harm our computer. There is more option in its setting to block Java Script + VB Script + popup window + Hidden Frames + External active contents. I really dont think anything without this can harm us....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:15:01 AM by ashishsingh1508 »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:08:43 AM »
I think Network shield work can be done by Outpost. I am not sure actually but thats why we use a firewall to protect our self from harmful network traffic. Please don't mind correcting me wherever I am wrong as you have more knowledge than me. Please tell the some something more about network shield so that I would also turn it on if its so important.
    Thanks your reply will highly be appreciated...
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:19 AM »
Unfortunately you wrapped it up in your own recommendations which made it look like I recommended that action.

As for the unchecking the Check for unauthorised system modifications, that was more of a fault checking process to see if that resolves a conflict. I haven't got that option unchecked on my system and I have no problem with Outpost Firewall Pro's system and Application Guard enabled.

Site blacklists don't do squat against hacked sites as they aren't doing real-time scans as the web shield is, believe me they simply don't compare. But its your system do as you please, but please don't offer advice that could put others at greater risk by disabling the web and network shields...

The network shield also gets updates from the communityIQ function where there are detections by the web shield, that cumulative information would add the domain to the network shields malicious sites list. It is also monitoring the common exploit ports and if you care to browse the viruses and worms for DCOM and LSASS you will see many such alerts by the network shield, even when the user has another firewall. So it is providing a useful backup in that area.

So you have the information, make your own mind up, but I'm done wasting any more time on it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 04:23:43 AM »
Can't you be a little polite David?  ;D ;D ;D
But anyway Thanks for your information, I think I must turn both on now........
Thanks alot
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:01:49 AM by ashishsingh1508 »

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:46 AM »
I will stick to Web Control anyways (Outpost)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:33:49 AM by ashishsingh1508 »

Harry_P

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »
I carried out several experiments including complete roll-out MSE and failed.

Nevertheless, when I at last unchecked "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" Outpost firewall began working smoothly.

Many thanks!

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 06:38:56 AM »
You are most welcome

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
Can't you be a little polite David?  ;D ;D ;D
But anyway Thanks for your information, I think I must turn both on now........
Thanks alot

I think I have been more than polite, I have been very patient in the face of advice that could leave an avast user not well protected when you advise them to uninstall the web shield and network shield.

So as I said, I'm done wasting any more time on it.