Author Topic: To Turn Off Or Not To Turn Off AV During Install of Complex TRUSTED Programs?  (Read 2322 times)

Jack 1000

Hey All,

What has been the consensus in the last year or so?  Years ago, when I had computer classes, we were told to temporarily disable AV software during a complex installation set up so that the install files would not interfere with the AV.  Programs like Photo Shop, MS Office, things like that.  Than, make sure the AV is back on following the install.

Many installation programs say that you should disable all other programs running during a fresh install.  Do they mean your AV too, even if it is not explicitly stated?  I pretty much leave the AV on, unless told during the install to temporarily turn it off.

Jack

doktornotor

Things should work without disabling AV. I recall MS Office 2003 crapping out during install, also some firewalls fail to install properly sometimes.

I'd say disable AV as a last resort if unable to install normally. (Of course, the above valid for trusted well-known app only. For some random stuff downloaded from random site that you wanted to test - if it can't work properly, delete the installer and move on.)

Joe S

I'm in the minority on this some programs do need Avast turned off to install without problems. One is VMware Workstation. If I don't turn off Avast in the guest OS and update VMware Tools there is usually a problem with one of the virtual cards video or audio. Acronis Disk Director was another.
Joe

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
It depends on what your're installing. If it's something like a service pack, Then yes, turn it off.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!