Author Topic: How to scan standard-extensions on open with RS ?  (Read 31438 times)

whocares

Hmm, maybe we should modify the default settings of the resident protection a little...  :-\

Second this motion... ;)

rlndsgrb

I have two defenses "script defender" and "Noscript", this has minimized the problems.But, inside at the IE, jscript code have to work ,of course, to build web pages (Htlm code and jscript code).
However the scan is performed when "HTLM" is written in the open box. The fact is that the scanner has not found the virus . Also when I scanned the hard disk it has found the virus inside at system restore folder but not in the *.htm file. However if a virus is found in a file that its extension is in the open box ,what happen ? There is an alarm or something is stopped ?
THanks a lot,rolando

whocares

when "HTLM" is written in the open box. The fact is that the scanner has not found the virus .

of course not ;D
use html, htm or best ht*

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Well, if the scanner didn't find the virus during the hard disk scan, that's strange - if you still have the file, could you send it by e-mail?

The RedLof virus is vbscript in fact, not jscript. Of course, you want to run "reasonable scripts" in your browser (the Script Blocker of the Pro version is just another Resident Protectin provider - it scans the scripts run by the browser and blocks only the infected ones).

The rest of the post, unfortunatelly, I don't understand... What does it mean "The scan is performed when HTML is written in the open box"? What is an "extension in the open box"? An application can put whatever extension it wants to the open dialog... of course, it usually puts there the extensions is uses...
[Edit: or you don't mean an "open dialog", but the resident protection settings: "Scan files on open" box?]

Generally, if any virus is found, a big warning dialog is displayed (though in the Pro version, you can configure many other actions). You wouldn't overlook it...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 09:45:59 PM by igor »

rlndsgrb

I deleted the file quickly ! What are the extensions !? Of course >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
COM,EXE,DLL,SYS,SCR,OV?,VXD,386,BIN,BAT,CMD,DO?,XL?, PP?,HT*,HLP,CH?,{*},ASP,CLA*,CPL,CSS,INF,JS*,LNK,MS?,OCX,PDF,PIF,PO?, PRC,RTF,SHS,VB?,VSD,WS?,SWF,AD?,ASX,BAS,CRT,INS,ISP, MDB,MDE,PCD,PRF,REG,SCF,SCT,SHB,URL,EML,NWS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
And of course if you type them in Resident Protection "Scan files on open" box ,WHEN the file
that is processed has a virus......................................
WHAT happen ? 1) the virus is blocked or 2) there is only an alarm ?

You have replied that there is only a big warning.
Correct ?
Regards,rolando

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Ah, no.
A big warning appears and the access to the infected file is denied (blocked).

rlndsgrb

Thanks.
Of course my bad English doesn't help.

This
Generally, if any virus is found, a big warning dialog is displayed (though in the Pro version, you can configure many other actions). You wouldn't overlook it...  

And this
Ah, no.
A big warning appears and the access to the infected file is denied (blocked
are a bit different.......................

Then about my virus I could expect, IF it had been diagnosed, "a big warning" (and with Pro a block).

Since it had not been found even with hard disk scan it could not be found during an "open scan".
thanks a lot.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I thought you were thinking that you didn't see any announcement, so you might have overlooked the detection - therefore I emphasized the big warning dialog which you definitelly wouldn't have overlooked. The blocking is performed simultanesouly.
In Pro version, you can modify the "Show warning dialog" action to something else (Delete, Move somewhere else, Move to Chest, .... The access to the file is always denied, however.

I'm rather worried about the file itself - if it wasn't detected, it's bad... I wish we could take a look at the file  :(

whocares

Hi rlndsgrb,

you could test your Shield & Mainscanner with the harmless testfile
eicar.com from www.eicar.com

so that you can see what happens when avast catches a nasty ;)

rlndsgrb

hi,
I've tried yesterday but it doesn't work...
This is the false virus,that I've written in a file *.com
(as in the instruction). I've scanned it having no virus from  Avast. Maybe it have not to be copied but written...

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

have you tried ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
You put this string into a .com file, scanned with avast! and didn't get any virus warning?

whocares

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

string looks rigth too me..

Make sure you paste this into a basic texteditor like notepad, save it as "all files" with .com-extension.
in explorer make sure that you have ALL extensions and filetypes including system files shown, and then check that it has indeed
.com -extension and not
.com.txt

rlndsgrb

hi,
not so easy whocares .
I have Avast! and AVG installed. But AVG is unchecked in startup table (WinME). In this condition,without any avg processor running,the AVG Resident shield is active !!! And gave me the warning . (of course also avast! Resident protection is active...). There was a kind of competition between
the two in the first time that didn't allow the two AV to work fine.. Then I have disabled AVG and Avast has given the alarm.
Now Avast! give  a warning also if I delete  "COM" from "scan file on open" box....

whocares

the AVG Resident shield is active !!! And gave me the warning . (of course also avast! Resident protection is active...). There was a kind of competition between
the two
As you found out now, and every AV-Setup-Program tells you:

Chaos, Mayhem & destruction is imminent, if you have several AV-Monitors avtive/running at the same time. ;D ;D

several AV-Progs use services or other not so immediately obvious methods to start the AV-shields; so you have to really understand your AV-prog before you install a second On-Demand-Scanner/Monitor ;)

Read here, too:

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=701
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 04:36:22 PM by whocares »

rlndsgrb

I have installed AVG a few days ago.I was said that
unchecking the start tab was enough. One in this forum with the same installation..........
The right way is not to uncheck the start tab ,but make a normal installation and adjust the settings to disable the AVG resident shield.
Can an "ALWIL Team member" says something about this ?
Thanks a lot,rolando
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 08:11:50 PM by rlndsgrb »