Author Topic: AVAST! is preventing browser internet access after Win7 SP1  (Read 11375 times)

zekeblue

AVAST! is preventing browser internet access after Win7 SP1
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
Sorry for the additional thread.  The other similar one seems dedicated to a conflict with PCTools.  I think this problem is more widespread than that.  I am running Win7 x64 and was running Avast Free 5.x.  No other security software - just Windows' firewall.  Yesterday I did Windows update for SP1.  Upon reboot, I had no browser internet access.  Email was fine.  If I disable shields, all is fine.  Re-enable shields, browser accesses net again.

Updated to 6.0.1000 (I think the version is correct number) - no change in above.  Udated to 6.0.1035 - again no change.

Interesting that it can be fixed by disabling shields then re-enabling them.

I have read a number of posts from users that did an Avast repair, a removal and reinstall - in most cases, the report is that this did not fix it.

Clearly something changed in SP1 that is interacting with Avast in a negative way.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: AVAST! is preventing browser internet access after Win7 SP1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
Im running the latest prerelease with win 7 64 SP1 and no issues at all, you say that your using the windows firewall but your sig say's online armor ?

Thanks for changing it.

It would be wise to try a clean install yourself, after uninstall delet the leftover avast files in program files and program data, if you have been updating since the 5 versions they could be listed under alwil.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:08:09 PM by craigb »

Silicon Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:17 PM »
I am having the same issue as zekeblue. I was not having any problems on my system, I simply saw the update to v6 available when manually updating and chose to update.

After updating from v5 free to v6 free my network connectivity failed. No errors in my Win 7 logs. I disabled the service for Avast and I have no problems connecting.

I installed the latest updaate for Avast about 15 minutes ago, then shutdown completely and started again. I am still having the same problem.

Currently I have Stopped the Avast service, then updated Malwarebytes and I can scanning my system to confirm there is no malware compounding the problem.

I love Avast and would hate to have to remove it completely.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - SP1
Windows Firewall (disabled since I started troubleshooting this)
Malwarebytes

Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
Try a clean install as i suggested in my prior post, no need to disable the windows firewall or add any exclusions to it as it does not interfear with avast, also try using the latest prerelease as it has less problems than the earlyer version's.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
-  also see Cause for apparent Web Shield blocking internet connection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Silicon Unicorn

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
Checked the Web Shield forum and did not see anything that applied.

As Craig recommended I did a complete uninstall then shutdown. Installed the latest and updated.

After rebooting I have the same problem.

Don't have the spare time to continue troubleshooting, sorry to say I am going to AVG.

I will give it about a month, then give Avast one final try.

Thanks for your efforts.

zekeblue

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
I am skeptical that a fresh install will help.  This is another report where it made no difference for this particular problem.  I will do it, however, when I have the open time.

I tried the temp folder fix in another thread linked in a message above, but that made no difference for me.

zekeblue

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »
OK..... did uninstall in safe mode then ran uninstall utility.  Rebooted twice.  Installed 6.0.1035.  This did not fix the problem.  Browser cannot access the internet until shields are disabled, then re-enabled.  Other internet access (eg, mail) is not affected.

tejvan

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
BUMP

I'm facing the same issue on Win7 SP1. I checked the other thread and there is no problem with temp folders. I have to keep disabling shields to get any work done! I faced the same issue after a complete format and reinstall. I need a solution for this  >:(

tejvan

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:49 AM »
I'm using Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1 with
Avast 6.0.1000

No other AV software is installed.

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
You don't need Online Armoor. Windows 7 firewall is good enough.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »

ten years of experience told you that too ??? ;D

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

ten years of experience told you that too ??? ;D

READ up on Windows 7 firewall. There are advanced secuity settings you can enable. Why ad extra bloat when what you have is good enough. I am using Windows 7 firewall with advanced security on but I am also behind a NAT.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/38835.aspx#ixzz1HZLatuHN

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
 no thanks ::)

Dieselman

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
Off topic but here is the guide you need.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750