Author Topic: Some files cannot be scanned by Avast, why?  (Read 4140 times)

belisbut

Some files cannot be scanned by Avast, why?
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Hello,

I have some problem with Avast, since some file cannot be scanned. The name of the file is

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5861c30b2fef3d7dfc4b22c4ad06bdbb\BIT621E.tmp|>MpMiniSigStub.exe

I have to say I am absolutely not a genius with computer and I absolutely don't know what I have to do?

Could somebody please help me?

Thank you in advance!

doktornotor

Re: Some files cannot be scanned by Avast, why?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
I have to say I am absolutely not a genius with computer and I absolutely don't know what I have to do?

Nothing, ignore it (and eventually set your logging level so that it doesn't get logged). That file simply cannot be unpacked and scanned by avast! It's a stub for MSE definition updates.

I hope you have uninstalled MSE before installing avast.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
I have some problem with Avast
It is not a problem, it happens to every AV but not every one show it in the scan result

Files that can not be scanned does NOT mean they are infected, only that it could not scan it for whatever reason....and there can be many, like password protected or protected by another security program......
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:18:19 PM by Pondus »

belisbut

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:58 PM »
Thank you for your very quick answers!

In fact, the only antivirus I had before Avast was Trend Microsoft Internet Security and I have uninstalled it before installing Avast. But I am almost sure that I never have installed MSE (Microsoft Essential Tools). Is it normal to find an update for MSE on my computer?

Let me just give you one more information. In fact, I performed a complete scan today because this afternoon I had two alerts for a Trojan

JS:FakeAV-AS [Trj]

Avast said it was blocked, but I wanted to be sure there were no problem by performing a complete scan.

The result was that there are no file infected, but that some files cannot be scanned.

If you say that there is no problem, I think I will simply do nothing since there is a high probability that my computer is not infected.

Thank you very much for your help!   

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
In fact, the only antivirus I had before Avast was Trend Microsoft Internet Security and I have uninstalled it before installing Avast. But I am almost sure that I never have installed MSE (Microsoft Essential Tools). Is it normal to find an update for MSE on my computer?

Windows Defender comes with the same subset of definitions.

Alerts from web shield are completely unrelated to your original question.

belisbut

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »
I understand, since I effectively use also Windows Defender!

A last question, when I had alerts today for the virus JS:FakeAV-AS [Trj], it was for an url (http://videoshot.info/flash.php) I was visiting. In the report, Avast says nothing in the column of the results. I suppose this is because the infected thing was an url and not a file on my PC?

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
This same error has been occuring to me since I installed avast! 2 days ago. Should
I delete the folder? there is no file even though avast! says there is...