Author Topic: Avast changing email settings and more..  (Read 10337 times)

watchthisspace

Avast changing email settings and more..
« on: September 21, 2004, 03:13:56 AM »
HELP!! Avast keeps changing my email settings and has set up my broadband as a dail up ... what's happened? I can not set up a scan to run when I have finished for the day ... I've had to change my virtual memory as it kept telling me ... NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! I have Win 98SE with 512mb of memory and my main drive is 40Gb ... never ever had trouble like this with AVG ... why is it that I always have trouble?!?!?
As I said ... HELP, PLEASE?!?!?
Thinking of going back to AVG ...

Any help for my friend?
Watchthisspace

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast changing email settings and more..
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 09:31:13 AM »
What are your avast! settings, in particular the Update (Connections) tab?

What are your virtual memory settings? (even though I don't think it's related)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »
I can not set up a scan to run when I have finished for the day
Only the Pro version has that option. With the home version you can do it using tasksheduler, or plan a boottime scan.

I've had to change my virtual memory as it kept telling me ... NOT ENOUGH MEMORY!
The "not enough memory" error on win98 systems is sometimes misleading. It doesn't always refer to you physical/virtual memory, but can refer to not enough diskspace. Also when your files are scattered all over the drive you can get this message. If files are at "the end" of your drive, win98 sometimes sees it as the drive is full. A defrag solves this.

why is it that I always have trouble?!?!?
I don't know you so I can only guess here. Not reading manuals, lack of knowledge, too much luck before, clicking things without reading the message? (no offense ment ofcourse)

Thinking of going back to AVG
In your avatar you have "proud Avast user" that doesn't stroke with eachother  ;D

Just tell us more and I'm pretty sure the problem(s) will be solved.
What exactly is changing in your connection settings?
What Avast version?
What are the Avast settings?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 02:36:01 PM »
HELP!! Avast keeps changing my email settings and has set up my broadband as a dail up ... what's happened? I can not set up a scan to run when I have finished for the day ... I've had to change my virtual memory as it kept telling me ... NOT ENOUGH MEMORY! I have Win 98SE with 512mb of memory and my main drive is 40Gb ... never ever had trouble like this with AVG ... why is it that I always have trouble?!?!?
As I said ... HELP, PLEASE?!?!?

If you set avast to work properly and everything is working (email, internet, connections...)
Then, click on 'Exit and shutdonw' the providers ('a' blue icon on system tray).
Only after that, you boot.
Will this save your configuration?

Thinking of going back to AVG ...

I can't understand your avatar...  ;D Are you proud or not?  8)
The best things in life are free.

38Special

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 07:36:37 PM »
A friend posted the problem for me ... it is his avatar, not mine.

My ISP here in the UK does not like the way avast changes my outing settings to avast and as a result it is refusing to send my mail for me, using the Hotmail address and not my default address at btinternet.com and because BT won't recognise the avast setting, I cannot send anything. This is why I'm peeved off at avast ...
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP??? Sorry to shout but I'm in agony with a back problem that is getting worse.

I'd be grateful for any help what so ever and please the sooner the better.

38Special

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 09:57:43 PM »
My ISP here in the UK does not like the way avast changes my outing settings to avast and as a result it is refusing to send my mail for me, using the Hotmail address and not my default address at btinternet.com and because BT won't recognise the avast setting, I cannot send anything.

I think it's not an avast problem, well, in fact, avast cannot handle Hotmail service because it does not work with POP3 and SMTP servers, the way avast scans emails.

By now, can you try using Get Mail 2.3? A desktop application that will allow you to periodically forward on any new mail in your hotmail inbox and optionally bulk mail folder onto another designated account, it works in much the same way as outlook express hotmail access.
The best things in life are free.

38Special

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 10:52:10 PM »
There was no problem with Hotmail ... mail always went but my broadband isp here in the UK just doesn't like the way it changes all the connection settings. It is an Avast problem because before Avast I had no problem connecting ...
I know Avast changes to use it's own setting, but Bt Internet just doesn't like being changed ...

38Special

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 10:56:24 PM »
I can't understand your avatar...  ;D Are you proud or not?  8)

Another one done by me, hehe... I made universal one, so anyone who doesn't have one, can use that one... I think if I remember well, I posted that in one of previous posts...

38Special - avast! must change your e-mail settings in order to protect your e-mail accounts - incoming and outgoing mail server names as well as it has to sligthly change your account name... otherwise, you wouldn't be protected while you send and/or receive e-mails. avast! MUST sit in between the internet and your inbox, otherwise there is no point having antivirus tool. And believe me, your ISP has no reason not to like changes... especially if they are for security purposes. Those settings just needs to be set properly. Did you change anything manualy ? Change all settings in Outlook Express (if you use it) as it should be (if you know how). Close Outlook Express (don't forget to do that). Start avast! mail protection Wizard and tell him to AUTOMATICALLY PROTECT ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS. Everything should work perfect. Everybody is enjoying avast!, so you should too...

Also, if you use Outlook Express, you should enable INTERNET MAIL provider in your avast! ON-ACCESS SCANNER. Outlook/Exchange provider is only for MS Outlook - completely different mail client...

Cheers People !
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 11:08:37 PM by Craftec »

38Special

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »
I know Avast has to change settings and I got in touch with my ISP, BT about the change in the settings ... no-one is allowed to change the settings but BT ... I asked how was I supposed to use my anti-virus software ... they told me to get one that they recommend ... in other words ... one they know works with their software ... told me Avast 4 DOES NOT work with their software .... talk about a pain in the rear ... this beats the lot!!!

Thanks for all your help.

38Special

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 11:21:47 PM »
OK, we should solve this calmly...

First of all, few questions:

1.) What e-mail client are you using ?
2.) What settings were changed that affected your ISP (I really don't know what should be changed in your e-mail account settings that invokes problems with your ISP)
3.) What exactly software they are using as ISP ? What is that that conflicts with avast! ?

As much info we get, twice as much help you can expect...  ;)

Cheers !

38Special

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 12:34:51 AM »
I use Outlook Express for email. When Avast changes the setting i find it's put a hash instead of @ and then adds all the email address to the end of the email address. I don't use a hash key ... my keyboard is set to UK language not US. Also changes my connection to Avast's own which is the bit British Telecom doesn't like ... they have their own anti virus but won't let any one know their software ... they even have their own security software ... and will give you all the tech help you can wish for so long as you are using the software they provide ... don't use the software and you get NO help!!
 See why I'm stuck!!!

Thanks for your help

38Special

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 12:51:11 AM »
OK, now I hope you understand that avast! has nothing to do with your keyboard settings.. is it gonna be US, UK or CRO or whatever else, it's only up to you. Why should avast! change any of those settings ? There is no reason, so avast! is not responsible for that...

Here is screenshot in attachment where you can see how everything should look like under ACCOUNT PROPERTIES in Outlook Express if everything is properly set. In my example, mail addres is

ntomail@hotpop.com

avast! will change it into ntomail@hotpop.com#pop.hotpop.com

and that's completely normal. Everything should be like that... nothing is wrong with those settings. avast! needs to do that to protect your e-mail account.

Incoming and Outgoing servers, now are 127.0.0.1
Again, nothing wrong with that...

You better post your screenshot (like this one I posted) from Outlook Express, so we can see how everything is set on your computer. Also, it would be good if you can tell what is exatcly full name of your e-mail address...

Cheers !

Fast

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 03:35:01 AM »
Why don't you, just to get rid of this tralala with BT, put back the original smtp-server ?
This way of course your outgoing mail won't be scanned, but at least incoming will.
It's just one of these ways ISP prevent their clients from relaying, and in a way this is good net-citizenship.
Just fill in your smtp part of the email-settings in the original state and enjoy.

Bye,  Fast

inthewildteam

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 03:58:37 AM »
watchthisspace,

call B.T. and get them to escalate the call to supervisor/manager level (make a note of the name of your first contact and all later names and dates/times)

Tell them that their restrictions are compromising your system's security and you want a work around for their systems.  Don't take no for an answer.  This has worked for me with NTL,  I got 1 year at half price for tv internet and telephone.

Follow it up with a letter to the supervisor/manager you talk to (establish a paper trail)

If this doesn't work, call them back and inform them you'll be changing isp provider and give 1 month's notice.......... that will really make them sit up and take notice.  Customer churn is a real problem!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 05:35:52 AM »
watchthisspace,

call B.T. and get them to escalate the call to supervisor/manager level (make a note of the name of your first contact and all later names and dates/times)

Tell them that their restrictions are compromising your system's security and you want a work around for their systems.  Don't take no for an answer.  This has worked for me with NTL,  I got 1 year at half price for tv internet and telephone.

Follow it up with a letter to the supervisor/manager you talk to (establish a paper trail)

If this doesn't work, call them back and inform them you'll be changing isp provider and give 1 month's notice.......... that will really make them sit up and take notice.  Customer churn is a real problem!

38Special - Best advice you could ever get my friend... just listen to more experienced inthewildteam, for sure you won't go wrong.

You are paying for their service (ISP), so you have all rights to get for what you are paying. They can not force you to use some antivirus if you don't think it's a safe enough. Antivirus and Firewall feature provided by your ISP is great idea, but it should be an option, not A MUST. You should choose what you like, and what makes you feel safe and happy.

Tell them that too...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 05:36:59 AM by Craftec »