Author Topic: Spigot Inc. Searchsettings.exe removal  (Read 27217 times)

messyhead86

Spigot Inc. Searchsettings.exe removal
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
PC's was playing up massively but nothing was being picked up, did a deep scan with virgin media secuity and found nearly 4000 infected files, inc a load of trojans and backdoor.trojans. have removed all of these, ran spybot and malware bytes and found a few more infected and remvoved. seems to have corrupted office. I still have searchsettings.exe which everywhere i have looked has come up as malware, but none of the three security programs can find it. Can't just delete the file. Anyone got any ideas of how to remove it.

cheers.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Spigot Inc. Searchsettings.exe removal
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
welcome to the forum. That virgin media secuity is that a real antivirus product? never heard of it.

and 4000 infections? sounds strange i think.

have you a log of that scan result of virgin media secuity? post it here.

whats your os?

do a scan with hijack this and post the result here.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »
also post your scan logs

to avoid using multiple post with copy and paste
lower left corner > additional options > attach

LaurentiuSpigot

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Hi, my name is Laurentiu and I work for Spigot.

I am here to provide information about how to remove searchsettings.exe.  Please take a look here: http://www.spigot.com/remove-search-settings.html

It is not malware, it is part of our toolbar.

Please contact me from our website http://www.spigot.com/contact.html if you need more help.
Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
Since this topic is from March 2011 and the original poster never came back to explain what the 4000 infections were "a deep scan with virgin media secuity and found nearly 4000 infected files, inc a load of trojans and backdoor.trojans."

As has been mentioned this is very suspect 4000 would either be a file infecter and avast would likely have been going bonkers or they could be cookies, etc. for the most of them. I have no idea what security product virgin media would be using.

So I don't know if this is directly related to Spigot, but I think you have more to look at WOT doesn't give a good site rating. If I remember rightly MBAM doesn't like Dealio either.

Personally I'm not a fan of toolbars, certainly not to check your search engine isn't changed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fmrdevildog

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:06:24 AM »
Just to add to this discussion, I too found my system to be running so slow and found Dealio toolbar (self loaded) Spigot Inc to be the culprit. I believe one of my children allowed on this system. Once remove system back up to normal speed............
Can't blame Avast for it being allowed, must keep tight control over toolbars, they can be ruiness! 8)

barefoot138

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
welcome to the forum. That virgin media secuity is that a real antivirus product? never heard of it.

and 4000 infections? sounds strange i think.

have you a log of that scan result of virgin media secuity? post it here.

whats your os?

do a scan with hijack this and post the result here.
Actually, 4000 infections is possible, depends on the antivirus and virus(s). Some viruses replicate themselves over and over, I believe this is how the first computer virus acted, just kept copying itself, it didn't do much else but display something along the lines of "Catch me if you can!" It could also be that the virus scans for tracking cookies, using SuperAntiSpyware on my main computer usually shows around 100 187 infections.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
@barefot138
you are posting in a topic from march 2012.   and first posts are from march 2011.    ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:48:28 PM by Pondus »