Author Topic: avast! anti-virus incompatible with PC Tools Firewall Plus?  (Read 4910 times)

Feidamu

avast! anti-virus incompatible with PC Tools Firewall Plus?
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
Recently I reformatted my laptop (restored it to factory settings, to be precise) due to various circumstances and I've just recently started to reinstall my programs.

Before the reformat, I was using the free version of avast! alongside PC Tools Firewall Plus with no problems. However, after reformatting, my browsers would be come unable to access the internet.

I was and still am using Windows 7 Home Premium, except after the reformat I've installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. I'm currently running the latest version of avast!, but I've uninstalled PC Tools Firewall Plus until I can find a workaround to run both alongside again.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced this problem or is able to help me?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: avast! anti-virus incompatible with PC Tools Firewall Plus?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
I think it should be helpful if you exclude Avast from PC Tools Firewall and do the same for PC Tools Firewall in Avast.
Maybe someone else using PC Tools FW will give further advice...
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
There have been other users who have reported problems with PCT FW.

I have used PCT FW in the past with Avast, but with the 6.0x version as a test and never experienced a problem with being unable to access web sites.  I found that PCT FW was very "hackable" however and not as secure as other FW's in testing and someone tried to get into my machine while using this FW but I had another security software to prevent the intrusion. :o

I would suggest that if you really insist on using PCT FW, that you go under Advanced Settings to make sure that nothing from Avast is being blocked (you will see a red dot next to it if it is blocked).  If it is blocked, right click and change the setting.

Your other option is to use a different and stronger FW.  Suggestions that are compatible with Avast are: Windows FW, Avast IS (AIS), Online Armor, Outpost, Comodo (with out AV).  The last 3 have free or paid versions...you get what you pay for...more protection and the ability to configure the software.

As with any security software, you should add your FW (other than Windows FW) to the Avast exclusions.

Since your OS is Windows 7, I would recommend that you start with using Windows 7 FW with Avast to see if your problem is resolved.  You want to make changes one at a time to see what is causing your problems.  Report back to us to see if this fixes your problem.  Thank you.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
Thx, Surf.

That was elaborative and should help the user. I would go with Outpost Free FW.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
You're welcome.  But I'm curious for the OP if just starting out with Windows 7 FW works for him since he/she just reformatted (for reasons we do not know) and to see if it's a hardware issue or not vs. a FW issue.  So I wanted the OP to start from scratch, and Windows 7 is safe to start.

Daris

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
On My XP I been running PC Tools Firewal and Avast for over a year with No Exclusions and No Problems whatsoever...Also running Spyshelter Free..and Malwarebytes with No Exclusions..And No Issues...Although I'm Using Opera browser, and IE7, didn't like 8 at all, and don't even want to try 9...

Feidamu

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
As mentioned earlier, I used to use PCT FW alongside with avast! on Windows 7 on the same machine with no changes whatsoever. The only difference is that my current installation, if it can be called such, has Service Pack 1 installed, and my previous one didn't. At the moment I'm using Windows FW with avast! AV without any problems.

I should have mentioned that I reformatted my PC prior to the latest version of avast! was released, while it might be a possibility, although highly unlikely, that the latest version of avast! AV isn't compatible with the latest version of PCT FW.

Thanks for the advice on other firewall programs, SafeSurf.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
I can recall awhile ago that pctools firewall had an issue with the win7 SP1 upgrade and that there was a driver update fix supplied on the pctools firewall forum.
As SafeSurf mentioned there are far better firewalls out there as well (outpost, online armor, privatefirewall) to name the better one's, so try these and see what you think  :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
On My XP I been running PC Tools Firewal and Avast for over a year with No Exclusions and No Problems whatsoever...Also running Spyshelter Free..and Malwarebytes with No Exclusions..And No Issues...Although I'm Using Opera browser, and IE7, didn't like 8 at all, and don't even want to try 9...
Not much relevance to the OP as your running a completly different operating system.
Even if you dont like ie8 it is still a more secure browser than ie7 and as for ie9! well your on xp so you cant have it anyway  :)