Author Topic: Getting and looking at emails is slow in Thunderbird  (Read 11969 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Getting and looking at emails is slow in Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
You're welcome.

The avastSvc.exe is the main avast scanning engine and would spike as it controls all the resident scanners. It is set to a fairly hight priority to be able scan what has to be scanned and return control to the other applications.

Whilst this is happening if the hard disk light is constantly flickering that is showing that there could be a bottleneck at that point. But there isn't a whole lot you can do about that (short of getting a newer faster hard disk, but this is costly in time as you would have to transfer all your existing data and programs. It depends on what type IDE or SATA,  format is used (FAT32 or NTFS, which is better) the rotation speed, 4500rpm, slow to 7,200rpm fast and the amount of cache/buffer the hard disk has, 8MB minimal 16MB and 32MB now becoming more common. This buffer/cache is fast memory that allows the hard disk to effectively catch up.

On XP, 1GB RAM should be enough, 2GB would be better for overall performance. This would mean more could be done in memory and less pagefile used (this is on the hard disk), so would contribute to any bottleneck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TMAnonAnon

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
I don't think the HDD is the problem, it's about 1.5 years old, Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB cache, and has about 75% free space.
Only 1 GB RAM and XP seems to always have free memory, so it's probably plenty in this case.
The Swapfile has it's own separate partition (XP Drive D: )

I'd say the biggest part of the bottleneck is from the old computer itself, with a P4 3Ghz single core CPU (no hyperthreading).

But you gave me an idea and I'll run Spinrite later on to make sure the HDD surface is fine.
Thanks DavidR

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 06:31:55 PM »
I got TBird Speeded up enough to come back and reply.
I went into IE's settings and turned off the History, set it to 0 days, then cleared the history.

I moved the files from the Inbox to Achives folder.  It took a few minutes to complete, and after a week I still find it annoying to go Achives.
Then I downloaded the addon "MultiXpunge".  In TBird I clicked File -> Offline -> Work Offline
Then I ran MultiXpunge, after setting it to Empty Trash and Compact all folder.

That was a week ago and I can view most emails like I used too...
But only once every few hours do I notice it doing the 1/2 minute slow down.
Even then, it's usually because I clicked the Archives folder.

Thanks for the hat Tip on Xpunge. :)   I just installed it in Thunderbird.  If it works like it claims then it should be a nice addon for Thunderbird.  Has a four star user review rating over at Mozilla's Thunderbird Addon website.

Nesivos

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
You're welcome.

The avastSvc.exe is the main avast scanning engine and would spike as it controls all the resident scanners. It is set to a fairly hight priority to be able scan what has to be scanned and return control to the other applications.

Whilst this is happening if the hard disk light is constantly flickering that is showing that there could be a bottleneck at that point. But there isn't a whole lot you can do about that (short of getting a newer faster hard disk, but this is costly in time as you would have to transfer all your existing data and programs. It depends on what type IDE or SATA,  format is used (FAT32 or NTFS, which is better) the rotation speed, 4500rpm, slow to 7,200rpm fast and the amount of cache/buffer the hard disk has, 8MB minimal 16MB and 32MB now becoming more common. This buffer/cache is fast memory that allows the hard disk to effectively catch up.

On XP, 1GB RAM should be enough, 2GB would be better for overall performance. This would mean more could be done in memory and less pagefile used (this is on the hard disk), so would contribute to any bottleneck.

The speed of a hard drive in a computer system is affected by two main factors. There is the transfer rate of the hard drive and there is the speed of the interface bus. It does no good to get a faster hard drive, if the hard drive interface bus will not support the full speed of the new drive.
http://www.hard-drive-help.com/hard-drive-upgrade.html

cheers :)