Author Topic: Some files could not be scanned message  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Lateral

Some files could not be scanned message
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:45 AM »
Hi Guys

I am using Avast Free Version 6.0.1000 (recently updated from version 5 of Avast)on Windows XP (SP3.

I receive the following message after each of my daily scans:

"Some files could not be scanned"

When I display the files that Avast is having the problem with, they appear to be a series of "dll's" related to Avast version 5.

For example:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\def\11032102\algo.dll
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\def\11032102\aswcleaner.dll

In total there are 7 dll's. The error message is:

"Error: The System cannot find the path specified (3)

Can somebody please tell me how to resolve this issue?

Is the "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\" folder still valid now that I have upgraded to version 5 or can I delete it? This error message also came up when I was using Version 5 of Avast.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Greg

PS: I moved across from AVG and really prefer AVAST.

doktornotor

Re: Some files could not be scanned message
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »
Can somebody please tell me how to resolve this issue?

You don't resolve it, it's not an issue, it's normal. Answered over and over again here.

Offline Lateral

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
Hi,

I understand why these files are being reported as being unable to be scanned BUT, the files seem to relate to Version 5 of Avast and therefore my question is "can I delete the folder"? If these are in fact version 5 files and they are ok then I would think that Avast 6 should not display them as an "alert" style of message and simply recognise them as its own.

Regards
Greg

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »
They aren't related to version 5, if you installed avast 6 over avast 5 as it will retain much of the infrastructure (folders) otherwise it would require a huge modification to the registry changing all the folder locations, etc.

If you dis a clean install of avast 6 then your folder structure wouldn't be C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\def\ but C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\def\

Avast isn't saying it doesn't recognise them as it own, but that it can't find them as the avast housekeeping has cleared out old virus definitions folders to keep hard disk space used under control.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:46:54 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lateral

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:49:28 AM »
Thanks

Yes, I did install Version 6 over the top of Version 5.

So, I am assuming that in order to get rid of these annoying error messages, I should uninstall Avast totally and do a clean install of Avast Version 6....

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:06 AM »
So, I am assuming that in order to get rid of these annoying error messages, I should uninstall Avast totally and do a clean install of Avast Version 6....

No. That is completely pointless, will not change anything. As said, this is NOT an issue.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:17 AM »
As said, this is NOT an issue.

+1
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:16:29 AM »
<snip>

As has been said nothing is required.

This is a notification only, letting you know some files couldn't be scanned and the reason why.

I don't know how frequently you run this on-demand scan (scheduled ?) but the more you run this the more likely that you will bump into the avast housekeeping of removing old defs folders (each about 50MB). I run a weekly scheduled scan and have only ever bumped into this notice once, but there is no action required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security