Author Topic: Avast is MUCH better than AVG. My own experience....  (Read 11845 times)

avg-sucks

Avast is MUCH better than AVG. My own experience....
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »
I tried Avast about 8 years ago... and chose to go with AVG instead. I've been using AVG for all that time. For the past couple of months, my computer has been running VERY slowly, and there's been LOTS of HD access for no good reason. I was using AVG 2011. I began to worry about how "good" AVG was, which seemed to run like a bloated monster on my system. So I decided to uninstall AVG and try another Virus protection program. The first problem I ran into was trying to get rid of the horrible AVG program. I tried uninstalling it, and it came back. I tried uninstalling it from windows "safe mode", and it "came back" I had to download a special "removal tool" to get AVG off my system. FINALLY.

I tried two other virus detection programs, and they detected nothing more than AVG (cookies). Then I decided to download and try Avast;

After installing Avast, it immediately found 4 trojans. Then, when using the bootup scanner, it found 14 more infected files (trojans) mostly java related.

My system is running VERY smoothly, and there is no more HD access or system slow downs. Talk about SCARY that AVG would allow me to run my system with 18 trojans!!!! I will never again use AVG and I am sticking with Avast from this point foward.

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but had to tell somebody about my experience.

I'm now in the process of changing passwords to any sites I visited while infected with these trojans... just to be safe.

Thank you Avast. You have a wonderful program and a new VERY satisfied customer!!!

JM

Gargamel360

Re: Avast is MUCH better than AVG. My own experience....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Well, that is good to hear.  Thanks for the feedback.  :)

btw, you email address is showing public, and getting that harvested is one good way to end up having someone mail you something....special...in a bad way.  ;)
So you might want to hide that via your forum profile settings.

avg-sucks

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:43:18 AM »
Thank you =) hehe. I had no idea it was showing. I don't need any "special" emails after my Trojan experience=) hehehe.

Offline Cast

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:15:22 AM »
my dad is still using avg(ive tried to talk him about changing), luckily his computer friend also recommended MBAM to him, and ill just say that MBAM has quarantined more than AVG.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:05:58 AM by Castayr »

sandeep108

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
I also had some terrible experiences with AVG and switched to avast! (Pro) since several years. Their forum is really a PITA. Touch wood no issues as yet. Of course I am also quite careful by running in limited/standard mode, etc.

I also like it that on my 5 year old single core system, avast has actually added more features while at the same time become more efficient. Upgrading to v6 has perceptibly improved the speed on that system as well.

I really like the sandboxing feature in avast. I may not use it much in daily use, but when browsing unknown sites, I certainly use it.

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
Def Avast is better and more stable! better shields than avg. Was using AVG 4.8 Many years ago and it let in viruses then. Previous to that had Norton 2003 that was slow and crap also!

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
@avg-sucks: as soon as you've reached 20 posts, you'll be able to modify your profile. So please change your username, as you don't need to indicate that you hate another product to show that you like Avast  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »
I've used AVG in the past... Both products improved a lot. avast still in better position in my opinion. I've managed a computer of a friend last week with AVG. avast still in better position :)
The best things in life are free.

Mayflower

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Avast 5 made me change antivirus product.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:12:14 PM by Mayflower »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
Avast 5 made me change antivirus product.
Why? What do you want for avast 4.8?
The best things in life are free.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:43:02 AM »
I tried AVG free 2011 recently, was using it on desktop and Avast on laptops
I have nothing against AVG, I think it was a pretty good product...but I feel
like Avast you get much more in the free versus free products. I really like the
P2P shield from Avast
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

skobotinc1

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 06:12:23 AM »
I got avast! two months ago because I was worried my system might be compromised. I've been having full on crashes for the past couple weeks, while avast! turned up nothing in safe mode, or after a normal boot. I installed AVG free, and problem solved...

Gargamel360

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:40 AM »
I got avast! two months ago because I was worried my system might be compromised. I've been having full on crashes for the past couple weeks, while avast! turned up nothing in safe mode, or after a normal boot. I installed AVG free, and problem solved...
Thank you Captain Killjoy  ::)

skobotinc1

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:21 AM »
Thank you Captain Killjoy  ::)
"Malware";"Unknown";"C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\RPCNETP.EXE";"N/A";"3/24/2011, 12:42:58 AM"
Fix it

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »
Thank you Captain Killjoy  ::)
"Malware";"Unknown";"C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\RPCNETP.EXE";"N/A";"3/24/2011, 12:42:58 AM"   Fix it
Yes sir.  Pleasure.  Just pay me for some post-grad education, get me hired by Avast!, and I'll get right on that.

Jokes aside, if you really want to help Avast! detect it you could send them a sample to virus-at-avast.com.