Author Topic: AVG..........vs...............Avira...............vs..............Avast  (Read 21660 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AVG..........vs...............Avira...............vs..............Avast
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
Note:
Typical uninstallation from the Control Panel in Windows can be insufficient in some cases. Some records may still remain in the system and prevent avast! from being correctly installed. Most vendors offer special removal tools to uninstall their antivirus software completely from the system. If there is mentioned an option to use removal tool in the instructions linked above, we recommend to use it for proceeding with the uninstallation.

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:53:58 PM by Pondus »

farkingnuts

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
Note:
Typical uninstallation from the Control Panel in Windows can be insufficient in some cases. Some records may still remain in the system and prevent avast! from being correctly installed. Most vendors offer special removal tools to uninstall their antivirus software completely from the system. If there is mentioned an option to use removal tool in the instructions linked above, we recommend to use it for proceeding with the uninstallation.

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

thanks a lot !

sigh..........i used to have Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials too............so i need to get removers for them from the respective vendors ?

i had AVG at the same time...............so i was running 3 anti-virus at the same time ! ;D

no wonder my pc got slower and slower.............i thought the more anti-virus, the better.......... ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
i thought the more anti-virus, the better.......... ;D

Well, wrong. ;)
But now you know better. :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
Hi ;)

Avast of course  ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
no wonder my pc got slower and slower.............i thought the more anti-virus, the better..........
some info about that..

see reply from quietman7
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=7c8217673a726b92cfc91ecfd4294a29&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
I think this post shouldn't be deleted.

Let the world know, we are free minded and even accept genuine criticism from others.

Allowing these kind of debates are actually a strength not a weakness unless we are like the moderators in AVG forum who like locking or deleting posts if we criticise them, even if it is a fact.

Just my opinion ofcourse

But still, Avast is better than AVG.  ;)

kb-r

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
Hi.

I am presently sojourning in the Avast environment as a visitor, having been a paid up Premium Avira user for some considerable time.  (Indeed, I still have some months to go on my current Avira licence!)

I'm trying the free version of Avast because of some problems I was having with Avira, for which there seemed no cure.

So far I'm happy with Avast - everything is stable and running smoothly.

Some points to consider:

- with the free version of Avast, I have everything that I had with Avira Premium, plus even more paranoia-supporting "extras" to turn off. (I have more of Avast, Free, uninstalled  or deactivated than I have installed or active! Hence, perhaps, the stability and smooth running);

- both Avast and Avira have a tendency to upgrade the program version without your permission, but Avira, as far as I know, didn't foist any extra whistles and bells on me without my conscious permission (such as automatic sandboxing);

- unlike Avast, Avira still supports older versions as far back as v.8, if such be necessary on your system (but you have to watch out for automatic upgrades that seem to happen when you least expect it);

- differences in performance (detection rates, etc) are not all that important, once you get into the better known makes: if you really are worried about, say, 96% vs 93% then you need counselling. (Especially as they jostle back and forth for first place with every new version.)

- neither scores better than the other on the support front: the language and terminology of the Help documentation is equally useless, but Avira is perhaps a little more inclined to tell you to uninstall anything that it won't work with, rather than solve the problem.

Recommendations and comparative reviews apart, the best antivirus (whatever) program is always going to be the one that works how you want it to, and not how it thinks you should be happy with, and with which you feel confident and familiar.

Cheers,
kb-r

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Posted by: kb-r
both Avast and Avira have a tendency to upgrade the program version without your permission

Avast?? Gee Not on my machine if I don't want it to!!...... this may help with those pesky out of control updates  ask or manual may help with Avast ::)

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
The default setting for program updates is Ask not Automatic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kb-r

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
"The default setting for program updates is Ask not Automatic."

Yes, of course.

I can't swear to having received - or not received - such a warning, (or "Asking") and experience with other programs, including Avira, makes me loathe to put blind trust in such a setting.

But in all fairness, I should have said, "If you happen to be up to your eyes in a rush job, and the baby's crying, dog barking, and some idiot just rang the door bell to sell you some double glazing... Be careful how you respond to little pop-ups offering divers updates: read before you click!"

Also, I forgot to mention the offensive pop-up one gets with Avira free, exhorting one to buy a more comprehensive package; it is a much more civilised and polite process with Avast free.

kb-r 

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
- unlike Avast, Avira still supports older versions as far back as v.8, if such be necessary on your system (but you have to watch out for automatic upgrades that seem to happen when you least expect it);

Unlike Avira, Avast has NOT dumped a buggy major version on all their users, totally overloading update server plus shipping pretty junky software that took them months to get into decent usable shape and in situation where downgrade was impossible because every automated update (provided their horrible update servers and the update process worked) to program components resulted in unwanted upgrade to Avira v10 with no way to avoid that... So, you were stuck with buggy non-updateable v9 you got from the installer.

In fact, majority of avast! users are still on 5.1.x and will take up to 6 months for the update to be offered to them (as opposed to being forced on them). And kinda note how long has v4.x been supported.

Do not get me started with Avira support of older versions.  :-X >:(

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
Let's just don't delete this thread cause we are in avast forum,i'd rather persuade him to use avast since it's by far better than avg and avira.So,Avast ;D
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
The default setting for program updates is Ask not Automatic.

My Bad ....did I mention default settings.....Bad Ted!! smack me please
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

farkingnuts

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
AVG Remover can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

very sorry to ask this...............but i want to uninstall AVG and i was given the option of......

check/uncheck - keep AVG 2011 linkscanner and security toolbar (check the box to keep this)

check/uncheck - include objects in virus vault (check the box to include)

so should i check or uncheck the above 2 options ? ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »
check/uncheck - keep AVG 2011 linkscanner and security toolbar (check the box to keep this)

check/uncheck - include objects in virus vault (check the box to include)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0