Author Topic: Freeware antiSpyware downloads compatible w/Windows 7 and avast! antivirus?  (Read 15159 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
The one problem with teatimer is that it protects the registry - and that includes any malware entries..  It will stop other tools from removing malware by replacing the bad entries each time

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
1. is spyware and malware similar ???
2. i thought Spybot is specializing on spyware that why i use it ! ???

1. Malware is an umbrella term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware

2. Drop SB..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

I'm wondering about the negative SpyBot responses.

I have it on one, maybe two, of my computers just for scans on demand. I recall some years ago ditching the TeaTimer program, but I do not remember why. I probably have the notes, but I don't have time to dig them up to refresh my memory. Suffice it to say I'll go along with the negative views on TeaTimer.

But I'm sort of wondering about the other negative responses to SpyBot.

For example, what does "outdated" mean in this context?

Let's see, doktornotor seems especially negative about SpyBot, but why?

essexboy, I got that point. I see the problem there, but that's just TeaTimer. Do you also disapprove of SpyBot as an on demand product?

I don't recall even studying the issue of SpyBot in a long time, so I guess that's why I'm wondering the specifics on the views here. I have no problem if I need to move away from SpyBot, but could I be given specific reasons why, please?

By the way, is there another thread just on the issues y'all have with SpyBot. That'll be just fine, too.

Thank you, all.

doktornotor

Google on Spybot compatibility. Enough said in that respect. Instead of taking lawsuits against vendors who show a message that users must uninstall S&D before installing their AV/security suite they should have focused on development. Had they done that, they might not have had missed the antimalware train completely. The product does not catch up with current malware development and they just keep bloating their signature database, that is basically all the "development" being done there. Fail. Will not help you with malware and will just cause compatibility issues. Definitely not worth the trouble. The product fails, period.

farkingnuts

oh yeah, does MalwareBytes remove cookies also ?

so malware, spyware and cookies are very similar ? ???

or are cookies harmless ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Malwarebytes does not remove cookies as these are regarded as harmless, a free and effective program to remove cookies is ccleaner.

farkingnuts

since cookies are harmless, ok to not remove them ??

or will they slow pc down ??

YoKenny

Please read:
What is a cookie?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/cookie-whatis.aspx

No.

Use CCleaner to get rid of unwanted cookies.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

The main issue with cookies are third party cookies, those that aren't for a site that you are viewing, they can track your browser usage and activity for that site other site (shopping, etc.). Depending on your browser (?) you should be able to block third party cookies, you can also set your browser to clear your cookies when you close it.

Since I use Firefox 4.0, I also have the cookie monster add-on and by default that only allows session cookies; they are only valid for the time you have your browser is running. The cookie monster add-on also allows you to accept cookies (normal time limited ones) for a site, like forum.avast.com as cookies are used so you don't have to logon all the time, etc.

All of the above helps remove the need for you to manually manage cookies.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:19:57 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

essexboy, I got that point. I see the problem there, but that's just TeaTimer. Do you also disapprove of SpyBot as an on demand product?
It is just teatimer I don't like, ;D as being a numpty I always forget to ask them to turn it off, so I have to do a second run