Author Topic: Custom Avast sounds  (Read 18567 times)

ArtemisF0wl

Custom Avast sounds
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
1st of all, this is just a suggestion and an opinion, nothing more.. Does anyone else feel the custom Avast sounds deserve a sticky? The main reasons i think so are:
1. I bet 3/4 of Avast users aren't aware they exist
2. The thread that 1st introduced them (at least to me) is buried somewhere deep in the forum by now
3. It may satisfy some of the people who seem to be adamant about customizing everything (there are quite a few threads about customizing GUI colors, etc)
4. I think the Avast team meant for everyone to have fun with this, and who knows when a user with the knowhow to create a new sound pack may visit the forum?  (Droid soundpack please) ;D

I wonder what others think? No flaming please if you don't feel it deserves a sticky ;)

http://www.avast.com/audio

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Custom Avast sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
+1 for a sticky. Why not?
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
Well, it's not hard to make your own soundpacks...maybe a thread "Post your soundpacks"?

Did this when the other thread was there:
http://spgscott.wordpress.com/tutorials/creating-custom-soundpacks-for-avast/

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
I wonder what others think? No flaming please if you don't feel it deserves a sticky ;)

I sure won't flame you. :)
But sorry, no to another sticky for this.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »
As for the "not hard"... sure, technically, it's rather simple.
But from what we've received so far (which wasn't much, but still) - I dare say it's not that simple to make something that sounds well. It seems like it's enough to write down the texts and then read them into some recording device. But... it often sounds rather dull, boring.

I mean, for personal usage, whatever the particular person likes, it's fine :)
But if it should be placed somewhere on avast! web, or even included in the program (we're still missing the voiceovers in quite many language versions) - it should be recorded through a decent microphone (i.e. not the one in notebook or cellphone), and the whole expression/pronunciation should be "lively" (but also natural!). It's not that simple, if you're not a professional speaker.

As for the sticky... I don't know, there are plenty of stickies here already.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »
But from what we've received so far (which wasn't much, but still) - I dare say it's not that simple to make something that sounds well. It seems like it's enough to write down the texts and then read them into some recording device. But... it often sounds rather dull, boring.

But if it should be placed somewhere on avast! web, or even included in the program (we're still missing the voiceovers in quite many language versions) - it should be recorded through a decent microphone (i.e. not the one in notebook or cellphone), and the whole expression/pronunciation should be "lively" (but also natural!). It's not that simple, if you're not a professional speaker.

Ahh, I forgot about voiced ones, I kinda meant just sound ones...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:12:48 AM »
@ ArtemisF0wl
-1 to a sticky we have enough/more stickies that you can shake a stick at (excuse the pun) without another one.

1. I bet of the 3/4 users that don't know about the custom sounds, 99% of them don't care or they would come looking.
2. That is why there is a fully functioning forum search tool.
3. quite a few, when you compare the numbers posting about this compared to the total avast user base, quite a few is a minuscule number.
4. If they were that interested then they also have the iNews feature to make announcements on features, etc. Not to mention the avast Help Center where there could be another section slipped in after Technical support for Useful links and customisation, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:26 AM »
2. That is why there is a fully functioning forum search tool.

Well, we could discuss about this, but that's OT here. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »
Duly noted sirs... ;)  Thanks for the feedback, i guess it wasn't such a good idea after all

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
1st of all, this is just a suggestion and an opinion, nothing more.. Does anyone else feel the custom Avast sounds deserve a sticky? The main reasons i think so are:
2. The thread that 1st introduced them (at least to me) is buried somewhere deep in the forum by now
3. It may satisfy some of the people who seem to be adamant about customizing everything (there are quite a few threads about customizing GUI colors, etc)
4. I think the Avast team meant for everyone to have fun with this, and who knows when a user with the knowhow to create a new sound pack may visit the forum?  (Droid soundpack please) ;D

Thanks for the post, I didn't know you could customize!

a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
Duly noted sirs... ;)  Thanks for the feedback, i guess it wasn't such a good idea after all
I use IE Favorites and have an avast! Favorite with that entry in it:  8) 
Internet Explorer Favorites 101
Create, Manage, and Organize Your Microsoft Internet Explorer Favorites

http://websearch.about.com/od/internetresearch/a/favorites.htm

ViniH

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »
I strongly agree with the OP.

For what it's worth I will be making some sound packs using my home studio (condenser mic, analog mixer, HD digital recording).

I would be happy to take requests (I can learn pretty much any accent).

As and when I create packs I will host them here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:35:58 AM by ViniH »

mantra

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »

i would love a sexy female voice!!!

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »

As for the sticky... I don't know, there are plenty of stickies here already.

Why not get famous public people to actually record the message professionally?

I think it would really be cool if you could hear the voice of your favorite footballer, movie star, singer etc.

With Avast having tens of millions of users I would think that these famous people would offer to do it for free given all the free advertising that it would give them.

For example the voice message could say:  Hi this is so and so and your virus definitions have been updated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:58:00 PM by Nesivos »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
With Avast having tens of millions of users I would think that these famous people would offer to do it for free given all the free advertising that it would give them.

Well, I can imagine such people may have quite a few similar offers... and possibly a lot of other things to do - than spend time in a recording studio. However, I'd say the main problem is to get through to these people - over their agents.

For example the voice message could say:  Hi this is so and so and your virus definitions have been updated.

Personally, I don't like this "Hi this is..." (I believe we actually have something similar in one of the Polish themes). I mean, might be funny at first, but if you hear it every day, possibly even twice a day...
(just my personal opinion though)