Author Topic: WebRep Suggestion  (Read 13060 times)

m00nbl00d

WebRep Suggestion
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
I looked the forum, as much as I could - so many threads - but, I don't think it has been suggested. But, if it has, then I apologize.

I was wondering what you (avast! users and avast! team, and other people who may not use avast!, but still come here.) would think about providing a stand-alone version for IE, extension for Chrome and Firefox? Opera, I'd think it would come out over time, considering its user base isn't as massive as IE, Chrome and Firefox.

The reason why I suggest such is that, by doing it, people who aren't using avast! products, but who like the concept behind WebRep, would use it and help avast! team improve the database of fraudulent websites (I believe it's its main mission?), and in turn, avast! team would be helping avast! users as well.

I believe that all parties would benefit from it: 1) People not using avast! products, could still use WebRep and help detect a larger % of fraudulent websites; 2) avast! team would benefit from it, increasing the database 3) more people would benefit from it, including other avast! users

Maybe something to have under consideration? Anyway, just thought of sharing it. lol

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: WebRep Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:08:19 AM »
I was wondering what you (avast! users and avast! team, and other people who may not use avast!, but still come here.) would think about providing a stand-alone version for IE, extension for Chrome and Firefox? Opera, I'd think it would come out over time, considering its user base isn't as massive as IE, Chrome and Firefox.

There will be no stand-alone version, afaik.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:25:11 AM »
The problem being that also allows people who aren't avast users/don't have avast installed the opportunity to add duff votes to the database, which might skew results if there aren't a lot of votes for a site.

As you can see I'm a trusting sort, NOT.

There are also plans to incorporate other information/function to it in the future that may not be available to those that don't have avast installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

m00nbl00d

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:32:48 AM »
The problem being that also allows people who aren't avast users/don't have avast installed the opportunity to add duff votes to the database, which might skew results if there aren't a lot of votes for a site.
[...]

But, they would become avast! users, once using WebRep. And, what you say that could happen, can't it happen by also installing avast! free?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:18 AM »
But, they would become avast! users, once using WebRep.

Put it that way: They have to become avast users, to use WR. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
That is I'm sure another consideration avast may have taken not to have it as a stand alone product.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

m00nbl00d

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:37:21 AM »
That is I'm sure another consideration avast may have taken not to have it as a stand alone product.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's a comment to my previous post... or to user Asyn? ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:56 AM »
It really would apply to both as it would be a hook to try avast antivirus as there is no such hook if they can just try the webrep.

Given that it is very new and the database isn't mature as a stand alone application they may not consider it very good right now.

Yes people could install avast free to try and trash a sites reputation, but a) having to install avast just to do that is somewhat extreme and b) their vote is only counted once. So I don't see that being a route just to trash a site, etc.

m00nbl00d

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
It really would apply to both as it would be a hook to try avast antivirus as there is no such hook if they can just try the webrep.

But, it would benefic for avast! to have more users providing ratings to WebRep database, wouldn't you agree?

Yes people could install avast free to try and trash a sites reputation, but a) having to install avast just to do that is somewhat extreme and b) their vote is only counted once. So I don't see that being a route just to trash a site, etc.

But, wouldn't that apply to a WebRep stand-alone version as well?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
1. No I don't agree since avast already has 150 million registered users and over 126 million active users, see http://www.avast.com/en-gb/facts. So there is already a large user base to provide ratings. I certainly wouldn't like to see it go the way of WOT where there is seemingly no control over who enters what and how inaccurate it is at times.

2. yes it would but there would be no hindrance  of having to install avast to get in the way of that intent...

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
thread is rather pointless as webrep xpi can so easily be saved  and re-used without installing Avast at all ;D whether or not it comes bundled with Avast, it is already a standalone extension ;D

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:50:52 PM »

And you really believe that within the app. 150.000.000 Avast-users there are no idiots adding duff votes and skew the DB?

I think that a stand-alone version is not a bad idea, it broadens the DB.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

And you really believe that within the app. 150.000.000 Avast-users there are no idiots adding duff votes and skew the DB?

this ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
thread is rather pointless as webrep xpi can so easily be saved  and re-used without installing Avast at all ;D whether or not it comes bundled with Avast, it is already a standalone extension ;D

Yes, it can but those wanting to do so would have to either have had avast installed to extract it from firefox or get it from someone that has installed installed avast.

What Avast isn't doing is making it readily available as a standalone download.

Why open the flood gates to see how big the problem might be.

As has been said at the last time of asking and any response from Avast they aren't intending to release it as a standalone. So as Logos said this tread is a bit pointless.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Why open the flood gates to see how big the problem might be.

As has been said at the last time of asking and any response from Avast they aren't intending to release it as a standalone. So as Logos said this tread is a bit pointless.

With millions and millions of users already, the flood gates are open already.  ;)

And even though there may be no intention at this very moment, sometimes a good idea has to be promoted by insisting and repeating it. I see nothing wrong with that.
Mankind would have missed a lot of good things if those with the first sparkling idea had given up after the first "no".
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear