Author Topic: WebRep overall rating text in GMail messages  (Read 34490 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
WebRep overall rating text in GMail messages
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
I've just sent a mail to someone from GMail and noticed that there was a text attached to my sent e-mail.

It was:

WebRep
overall rating

I remember once that someone also had the same issue. For me it apparently started happening with Firefox 4, because it used to be fine in Firefox 3.6.
Can i expect this to get fixed in latest avast! build which is nearing the final release stage or will this get fixed some other time or via VPS?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: WebRep overall rating text in GMail messages
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:22:22 AM »
From memory WebRep adds some part of itself to Signature
I had a similar problem RejZoR and just remove WebRep from Signature fixed my problem.

That is Gmail Account Settings/General and or Signature tweaks in Labs
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:25:33 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

k.u.r.t

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
Rejzor, this has already been resolved in one of the betas. Are you running the latest one? I just checked here on my working build of WebRep for Firefox and it works correctly with both FF 3.6 and FF 4

doomhead

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »
I had the same problem too. This plugin always added some text and some images (that are didn't show) to my signature.
I tried to turn the signature off, but WebRep always changed it back immediately. I installed this new version of Avast three days ago, so I doubt, that the plugin was beta.
For the time being, I removed WebRep, but will give it a try again later.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
What is the avast program version number and which browser did you experience this behaviour with?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
I got it too. One of my friends who uses AIS sent me a message via gmail(see pic). He uses AIS 6.0.1000 on Win 7 HP x64. Firefox is his web browser.

Gsus

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
So the WebRep thing is attached to Avast? Well, if I can't make it go away I'm going to have to uninstall Avast, seriously guys. WebRep has ousted my normal signature on Gmail (normal signature still shows up as being my signature in Gmail Settings). I turned off the signature, WebRep siggie still comes up. 

Can't unistall the program because WebRep is not on my program list.

Firefox is my browser, Gmail is my mail service, and I'm using Avast 6.0.1000.

Please help. I loves Avast and don't want to uninstall, but this is an email I just sent and it looks so bad:

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:26 PM
To:
Subject: hmmm

When I send you an email, does it say "web rep overall rating" on the bottom?
WebRep
Overall rating
Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.

Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Well, noone forces you to install WebRep, it is strictly optional, plus as said, if you install the prerelease version, you will not have any such issue even with WebRep installed.  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
So the WebRep thing is attached to Avast? Well, if I can't make it go away I'm going to have to uninstall Avast, seriously guys. WebRep has ousted my normal signature on Gmail (normal signature still shows up as being my signature in Gmail Settings). I turned off the signature, WebRep siggie still comes up. 

Can't unistall the program because WebRep is not on my program list.
<snip>

If you do a forum search for uninstall webrep, there are more topics than you can shake a stick at.

The WebRep is a component of avast and not a stand alone program so you won;t see it in add remove programs. So you make as if to uninstall avast and instead of uninstalling you select Change, from the new window scroll down and select Change, find the Web reputation plugin and uncheck it, click Next and OK your way out (see image, click to expand). You may need to reboot before it takes effect if it is running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doomhead

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
What is the avast program version number and which browser did you experience this behaviour with?

Avast: 6.0.1000
Firefox: 4.0 (installed through the Eu-ballot screen, if that matters)

Gsus

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
The WebRep is a component of avast and not a stand alone program so you won;t see it in add remove programs. So you make as if to uninstall avast and instead of uninstalling you select Change, from the new window scroll down and select Change, find the Web reputation plugin and uncheck it, click Next and OK your way out (see image, click to expand). You may need to reboot before it takes effect if it is running.

Yay! It worked! Thanks so much, David R. - I appreciate your time and knowledge. Have a great week!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:57 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Todays Computer Shop

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 04:38:13 AM »
I had the same problem too. This plugin always added some text and some images (that are didn't show) to my signature.
I tried to turn the signature off, but WebRep always changed it back immediately. I installed this new version of Avast three days ago, so I doubt, that the plugin was beta.
For the time being, I removed WebRep, but will give it a try again later.