Author Topic: Question with updates  (Read 2255 times)

aritzilla

Question with updates
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
Hi,

I do not understand this:

- if I select "Ask to update" (in menu options - updates) I have to press the button "Update" when a new version appears.

- if I select "automatic update" (in menu options - updates) I have to do the same.

Does Avast not have to update automatically when you select "automatic update"?

Is this a bug?

Memories

SafeSurf

Re: Question with updates
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
Your question is slightly confusing so I will reply as best as I can since I do not know what version or product of Avast you are using, what your OS is or what other security software you have on your system.

1. Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Program:
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - Ask when update is available - Avast will notify you when Update is available
  - Manual update

Click "OK" on bottom of screen when you change an option.

2. Also, please let us know if you recently did an Avast upgrade or clean install and what the previous version was. 
3. Did you reboot after installing? 
4. Did you register your product and update the definitions after installation?

After checking the above, please provide in your next reply the information needed in the first sentence of this post for us to provide better information for your system as well as if your settings were set correctly (#1) or not as well as the answers to the questions asked in this post (paragraph 1 and questions 2 - 4).  Thank you.

doktornotor

Re: Question with updates
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
- if I select "Ask to update" (in menu options - updates) I have to press the button "Update" when a new version appears.
 - if I select "automatic update" (in menu options - updates) I have to do the same.

What you are missing here that the new version is NOT pushed to everyone at the same time so as not to kill the mirror servers. It can take days for minor version updates, and months for upgrades (v5 -> v6).