Author Topic: Unable to register - no pop-up registration window  (Read 2880 times)

weetah

Unable to register - no pop-up registration window
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
Ok, this should go to the developers, actually, but I can't find the easy way to contact them, so I've decided to share this with all of you, until the problem gets solved.

I was reinstalling windows on this one computer, and everything went smooth, until I installed Avast. In fact that went smooth too, but I couldn't register it. When I click on register button, a small pop-up window appears, saying "Retrieving information..." and it stays there for couple of seconds, after which disappears and nothing happens. I've tried to request a serial number on mail, that went smooth, but when I enter it into the required field - still nothing happens.

After 2 days of trying to find what the problem is, I finally gave up, and downloaded AVG. After I installed it, during the update process, AVG points out that there is a problem with system time. Only then I realized that the time was set to year 2025. I couldn't believe that THAT was the problem, but I had to try again. I reinstalled Windows from scratch again, and reinstalled Avast and now everything is all right.

So the point of this thread is to alert developers about this flaw. If the system time is set to some time in the future, Avast can't register! I believe that's not a big issue to solve, and you'll probably spare someone the torture I had to go through.

Thanks.

doktornotor

Re: Unable to register - no pop-up registration window
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
So the point of this thread is to alert developers about this flaw. If the system time is set to some time in the future, Avast can't register! I believe that's not a big issue to solve, and you'll probably spare someone the torture I had to go through.

How is avast! supposed to know the time is set in the future?  ??? Are you suggesting to build an NTP client into the installer? And what with off-line installs?

weetah

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
I just wanted to point out that AVG "knew" that there is a problem with system time, and Avast had problems with registration because of it. I don't know anything about implementing new features into application, but i presume it's not hard to include a small checker that would prevent this in the future. I agree that the odds for this happening to somebody is very low, but if nothing else, this thread would spare them from my awkward experience.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
Well since the entire OS is screwed when you install it this way with system clock set to 2025, I don't see how exactly would this check help in your case.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
Well since the entire OS is screwed when you install it this way with system clock set to 2025, I don't see how exactly would this check help in your case.

Well, but it is in my opinion a valid point there. Shouldn't be too difficult to have Avast pop out a message like "Check your System Date / Time" right after installation.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Tom2e

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »
Have you successfully installed Avast since fixing the time/Date problem? I am asking because I am having the exact same symptoms, but I checked my time/date and all is correct.

I believe that my problem is coming from windows security settings, but as far as I can tell, I have all windows security turned off (firewall, and security). I am a competent computer USER, but I have no knowledge of repair/programing.

I cannot access the Avast web site AT ALL on the computer in question (Server not found) but I can go to it on a different one (this one). Does anyone have any ideas about settings  can adjust to allow my computer to access Avast so I can register?

For what it's worth: I installed Avast after Windows failed to block the "Vista Security 2011" Hijacker. I have Malware bites installed now also. Installation of Avast went well, but registration is a no-go!

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
I cannot access the Avast web site AT ALL on the computer in question (Server not found) but I can go to it on a different one (this one). Does anyone have any ideas about settings  can adjust to allow my computer to access Avast so I can register?

For what it's worth: I installed Avast after Windows failed to block the "Vista Security 2011" Hijacker. I have Malware bites installed now also. Installation of Avast went well, but registration is a no-go!

The malware blocks connection to Avast! servers. Check the hosts file etc. Anyway, this is totally off-topic here, start a new thread in viruses and worms section.