Author Topic: Avast Free Version 6.0.1  (Read 2842 times)

christine74

Avast Free Version 6.0.1
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
I have been using the free version of Avast for the last 2 years and haven't had any problems. I am presently using version 5.1.889 (with the latest engine and virus definitions) A few days ago I tried updating to version 6.0.1000 and once the update was completed , it rebooted for the changes to take effect . However my PC wouldn't start after this ( It would just stay paused at the opening Windows XP screen). Therefore I went to safe mode and uninstalled it. Does this have to do with the fact that I still have Service Pack 1 only on my system? Also can I still keep using my 5.1.889  version with the latest engine updates without having to install version 6?   

Gargamel360

Re: Avast Free Version 6.0.1
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »
Does this have to do with the fact that I still have Service Pack 1 only on my system?
Can't say with 100% certainty, but that could be considered a strong possibility, yes.
Also can I still keep using my 5.1.889  version with the latest engine updates without having to install version 6?   
Yes, you will still get definition updates.  I feel obligated to inform you that there is inherent risk to not keeping up-to-date with programs, especially your AV.  But you have already crossed way over that line still running ages-old SP1 for XP. 

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum christine74!

For avast! 6 you need XP with SP2 or higher. For the security of your PC you should update your XP to SP3 immediately!

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »
Please read:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

XP SP3 provides many Critical Updates and several performance improvements.