Author Topic: Cannot Delete Management Tools Directory From Flat-File Backups  (Read 9025 times)

P3iSystems

We are using Cobian for backing up our files. The Management Tools directory under C:\Program Files\ is seemingly undelete able. I've tried every method of deleting a file in this scenario and all has failed. Any recommendations? I'm open to any that are willing to help. I'll list what I've attempted below:

• Kill explorer and delete folder through command prompt
  • Checked permissions and made sure they are correct for allowing deletion of the folder from the account used

doktornotor

Re: Cannot Delete Management Tools Directory From Flat-File Backups
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Take ownership? Also, Unlocker might work as well. http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

wpn

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »
its maybe over the top for deleting a file thats probably in use but check out MBAM from MalwareByte. It has a tool build in for deleting files that are in use.

so locate any file in the directory that you try to delete and use MBAM on it...
i dont know the tool from doktornotor but that probably works the same

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
i dont know the tool from doktornotor but that probably works the same

It works a lot better.  ;D

P3iSystems

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:58 AM »
Already gave Unlocker a shot initially and got no success. As I mentioned in the first post, I addressed all issues that were possible in relation to file system permissions. Either way, thank you for the advice that has been given.

I've not tried the MBAM tool for deleting the directories but will be sure to give it a shot.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:29 AM »
Try deleting each file in turn from within the folder.
Sooner or later it will stop on one (or more) files, saying that it's in use, perhaps.

Find the process belonging to the file that is in use and stop it in taskmanager, then delete it and with any luck the entire folder will be able to be deleted, too.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

wpn

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
Already gave Unlocker a shot initially and got no success. As I mentioned in the first post, I addressed all issues that were possible in relation to file system permissions. Either way, thank you for the advice that has been given.

I've not tried the MBAM tool for deleting the directories but will be sure to give it a shot.

well we couldnt make that up from the description you gave :)  be more specific in what you tried (no offense meant)...

Did you also try booting up the machine in SAFE mode and delete (with/without unlocker/mbam)

P3iSystems

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »
I gave another try to fixing the permissions of the directory & sub-folders and changing over ownership to "Domain Admins" group solved the issue at least for now. The 'Management Tools' directory was the only folder(s) experiencing this problem in our backups. Thanks for the suggestions.