Author Topic: Exchange 2007 Fails to start after installing Demo  (Read 6632 times)

range-stormer

Exchange 2007 Fails to start after installing Demo
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals

New to Avast, so wanted to try it on my SBS2008 server

All installed ok but for some reason the Exchange store wouldn't load - said there was a problem with the virus scanner.

Needed to get it online again quickly, so uninstalled Avast and all working again.

Any ideas as I would really like to get this up and running

Thanks

wpn

Re: Exchange 2007 Fails to start after installing Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
this is a "known" problem.

Did you have other AV software installed previously?

range-stormer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
No it was a clean install

The store failed to load - when I did it manually it said there was a problem withthe vscanner or something

This also stopped the owa from working obviously because Excahnge hadn't fully started.

I might try it again and get more detailed error messages.

It is a standard 2008 SBS running Exchange 2007 - fully patched

wpn

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
there is an SBS stepplan here on the forum, i believe it was started by  scythe   look in there for more tips

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
Yep, started by me.  Check out the thread here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41775.0

I forget what the registry key it is that has exchange check to see if there is an A/V scanner plugin active before mounting the stores, but if you google the error that you see in the event viewer I'm sure you'll find it.

Basically, something is happening on the Avast side that is preventing the plugin from loading properly and scanning the exchange database.  When that happens, Exchange immediately dismounts the stores and won't let them mount again.

You can either follow the steps in the thread above, or google the error that you're getting to find the registry key that you have to change in order to prevent exchange from looking for AV protection, and have it mount the stores anyway (obviously I don't recommend this).

All I can say is that SBS2008 can be a pain in the rear to get setup (and I'm about to setup an SBS2011 system, so I'm not looking forward to it!), but if you read the instructions that a few fellow users contributed in the above thread, you should be able to get it running correctly.

We're all eagerly awaiting the new version 6 for business that we can only hope will come very soon.  If so, SBS 2008/2011 should be a piece of cake.  We won't really know until it comes though.

Good luck and come back if you have anymore questions!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum