Author Topic: Email quickie question...  (Read 3235 times)

fannymites

Email quickie question...
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »
I know this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything through the search.
If I disable email scanning will avast! still protect me when checking emails with the standard shield?  After all, it does detect virii on downloading so wouldn't it just be the same?  Also, when I have asked about email scanning on other antvirus programs in the past I have been told it isn't  needed as the resident scanner should deal with it.
I only ask because I'm trying to trim down the processes on my comp as much as possible and avast! in particular does use more ram than than most things on my comp (only Firefox uses more).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 10:10:00 AM by fannymites »

galooma

Re:Email quickie question...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »
that depends on wether your e-mail is on board (outlook exp) or a webmail service(Hotmail) . i reccommend hotmail type ,as it allows you to disable the outlook module of avast and all the outlook exp modules of windows as well.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:07:40 PM »
It isn't  needed as the resident scanner should deal with it.

At 'High' sensibility only. Better if you use webmail and a download manager scanning each file you download.

I only ask because I'm trying to trim down the processes on my comp as much as possible and avast! in particular does use more ram than than most things on my comp (only Firefox uses more).

It's not good, the best solution, or wiser take this way...
Some processes need more resources to be effective.
Remember, emails is the most common virus open door nowadays  :P
The best things in life are free.

fannymites

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I will keep the email scanning enabled, I use Thunderbird for email.
I already use download managers, using ashquick.exe to scan everything I download and I will keep those also.