Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Internet Access Blocked after Win 7 SP1 Install  (Read 25974 times)

tiro12

Re: Internet Access Blocked after Win 7 SP1 Install
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
It says I am not allowed to submit a ticket  ??? ...   Has anyone heard from tech support about it?
Madmacs we have the same problem, it's just that I am not about to turn on and off the webshield 100 times a day, I just leave it off.

zekeblue

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
It says I am not allowed to submit a ticket  ??? ...   Has anyone heard from tech support about it?
Madmacs we have the same problem, it's just that I am not about to turn on and off the webshield 100 times a day, I just leave it off.
I never did hear anything from tech support in response to my ticket several days ago.

Offline madmacs

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
I have a ticket Number ASW #QDQ-182622, but they seem to be dragging their heals.  I'm getting more feedback from you guys.

tiro12

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 01:06:27 AM »
I was able to submit as well (needed to register)

jolo

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 05:26:07 AM »
Lord I dislike Windows and Microsoft.

I will tell you that because of all of the difficulties I have experienced after my
Win 7 SP1, install, I removed SP1 totally from my system.

I have had several applications that started being messy after SP1 and for me, my PC is working a lot better since I removed SP1.

My PC does a dual boot, where I sometimes have to use Windows 7 and sometimes I use Linux. However, this has virtually nothing to do with the issues
regarding Avast! and other application issues I and thousands of others have experienced since SP1.

In my opinion, although Avast! has to respond to SP1, I would blame Microsoft for delays in fixes, rather than Avast!.
Think of a company that has working application software, where they have to suddenly update, as per changes made my Microsoft.

Jon ;D

Offline madmacs

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
@Jolo (Jon):  I here ya and I agree with you.  Microsoft is such a monstrosity to move.  I don't think that they actually field tested the SP1.  At least I did not hear of it through TechNet channels.  They like to be idealistic, remove everything but their software and you'll be fine. They should test it on a real system with a lot of stuff and applications from other vendors.. and junk.  Put it on Bill's system!!  Bet you they get it fixed then..   

Anyway,  I finally got a response from Avast. They are not having any problems.  Of course!! They have the perfect installation too!!  Probably from Microsoft too,  Damn-it!! ... sorry.   So,they had me upgrade to the Pre-Release version (6..1044).   Problem remains.   This is my main work system.  My livelihood depends on what I am able to accomplish on it.  Much Windows dependent software. 

I have a Linux system separate from this system, but I beat on that system way to much.  She crashes a lot as well, but I don't have to depend on it, so I rebuild her or restore from back up.   

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
I am running win 7 SP1 64 bit and am not experiencing these problems either

yordan_milkov

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »
I'm running Windows 7 x64 SP1 and a friend is running Windows XP SP3. After installing Avast free we both had lost internet access, until we stopped the Web Shield.

EDIT: OMG! The new version SUX! Now even the Last.fm scrobbler is bugged! After 5 years using Avast I have to uninstall it permanently!

EDIT2: The biggest mistake I've ever done: installing Avast! Free 6
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:49:58 PM by yordan_milkov »

Offline madmacs

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:26 AM »
I love these "Avast! Evangelist"... The name alone conjures images of sainthood. Just asking, but they're purest right?  Their best comment (and please read this thread and you'll see.) 'Works fine on my system'.  And when we try to say 'sorry, I think there IS a problem', is an act of sacrilege. 

Common Guy's!  Consider you have 1,000,000 installations, but let's say 1500 of us have problems, we're not worth looking into because we're less than 1%.  Well be it as it may.  I can only request help, not command it.  Please, Evangelist, if you feel you can not offer than the one-liner, I think it better if you kindly offer nothing.

Thanks, though to other who offered more and have similar problems I do.  If I find the problem or solution. I won't be an Evangelist, I'll let you know... no offense.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Any other firewall or security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
I love these "Avast! Evangelist"... The name alone conjures images of sainthood. Just asking, but they're purest right?  Their best comment (and please read this thread and you'll see.) 'Works fine on my system'.  And when we try to say 'sorry, I think there IS a problem', is an act of sacrilege.  

Common Guy's!  Consider you have 1,000,000 installations, but let's say 1500 of us have problems, we're not worth looking into because we're less than 1%.  Well be it as it may.  I can only request help, not command it.  Please, Evangelist, if you feel you can not offer than the one-liner, I think it better if you kindly offer nothing.

Lookie... this has nothing to do with evangelist or whatever similar. If a problem cannot be reproduced, it is damn hard to fix (unless there is an obvious flaw in the code - which apparently is not in the case.)

1/ With those zillions of security-related applications some people tend to install on their boxes, thinking they will be better protected, it boils down to conflicts with other stuff in most cases.
2/ Then there is stuff that should not conflict per se - but it is so horribly written that is effectively does, by hooking way too many things on pretty low level in a wrong way (an example of this would be ThreatFire.
3/ And then there are broken OS installs, which are often a result of people insisting on instaling and testing every piece of junk someone told them of or that they hit randomly on their quest to download some pr0n or latest warez.

Same thing as in opensource - a problem that cannot be reproduced by the developers will most likely not get fixed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:32:09 AM by doktornotor »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
Have you tried to scan your PC with some malware-removal tool?
If not, I'ld recommend to do a Malwarebytes Antimalware scan just to make sure it is not caused by any malicious stuff.

BTW: "evangelist" status is given automatically by forum software and does not mean we are Avast-employees or any heavenly, enchanted creature.  ::)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline madmacs

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Wow!!  I hit a nerve.

This not a rant at picking on the higher ups.  I don't expect solutions right from the start.   IDEAS, gentlemen, IDEAS!!   I know that 99% of the world is OK..   I know it can be me...  And I especially know that most that help in this forum are Not from AvastThis has to be understanding for anyone who post here.  I myself, Will NOT say "Oh! It works fine for me" to anyone, period.   If I don't know, I'll say nothing on any forum.  I would only offer some Ideas, if I had them .. to help.     Now, Gentlemen, Please accept my apologies if you feel offended.   I would think that your forum rank means that you are the most knowledgeable members of the forum.  The largest contributor to end user success. I would think, that it means that you have seen many such problems, offered solutions and Ideas.  I have the unnerving feeling I am an error about this.

@Tech : I have already done what you have recommended.  In, fact I have been requested to install the Pre-Release to see if that fixes the problem.
@Zyndstoff :  I have done that so many times, I got to have the cleanest system around, by now.  I do appreciate your true help, though.
@doktormotor : Not helpful, Sir.  Real world is the crazy people like me, with dam too much software. (That's why system are getting bigger, so we can put more stuff on it.)   Ideas, Sir ... Ideas.

In other communications, I have been requested to look into Add-on such as BrowserDefender.   I do not have such software on my system ( I even searched my registry by hand and found no such mention.)   I use Avast AIS when operational it handles ALL my security needs, as it should.     I don't need other security software, right?  I  offer this as possible new paths for thought or ideas... :-\
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:16:23 PM by madmacs »

doktornotor

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »
@doktormotor : Not helpful, Sir.  Real world is the crazy people like me, with dam too much software. (That's why system are getting bigger, so we can put more stuff on it.) Ideas, Sir ... Ideas.

Sadly you did not get the point of my post at all. Oh well, nevermind.  :-\

Offline madmacs

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
I have read and I got your point, sir...  If you have read my comments and /or this thread you'll see,  Though obviously, you did not get mine  :'(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:24:29 PM by madmacs »