Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Internet Access Blocked after Win 7 SP1 Install  (Read 25966 times)

Nesivos

Re: Internet Access Blocked after Win 7 SP1 Install
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
@madmax

A few questions

1.  Where did you install SP1 from? Was it through the Control Panel-----Windows Update or some other source?
2.  Did you apply all Windows updates through the Control Panel-----Windows Update before installing SP1 if you did not install SP1 from the Control Panel-----Windows Update?
3.  Did you run Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker before and after installing SP1?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

With SP1 installed which is when your are having the problem you might want to got to "Control Panel"-------"Network and Sharing Center"---"Check advanced sharing settings".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:50:21 PM by Nesivos »

zekeblue

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:42 PM »
@madmax

A few questions

1.  Where did you install SP1 from? Was it through the Control Panel-----Windows Update or some other source?
2.  Did you apply all Windows updates through the Control Panel-----Windows Update before installing SP1 if you did not install SP1 from the Control Panel-----Windows Update?
3.  Did you run Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker before and after installing SP1?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

With SP1 installed which is when your are having the problem you might want to got to "Control Panel"-------"Network and Sharing Center"---"Check advanced sharing settings".

I'm in the same situation.  Lost browser connections (not email or other internet) after SP1 install to Win7x64 from Windows update.  Disable/re-enable gets browser connection back until reboot.  All patches were installed prior to update.  No other security software.  Installed latest pre-release after using uninstall utility from safe mode.  Ran SFC after SP1 update (just now) with nothing found.  System smooth with no other detectable problems.

Submitted ticket last week.  Never heard anything back.

Offline madmacs

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
@Nesivos Good day Sir,

I used Windows Update (CtrlPanel > Windows Update.)and Yes sir, SFC. I little history. I also uninstalled and re-installed SP1 several times at behest of my constituents here, via CP > Windows Update > Installed Updates and the result have always been the same. I tried variations, removed AIS 1st, installed SP1, re-installed AIS. I done Registry sweeps to make sure AIS is removed totally and that their are no other security programs running like, Norton, browser security stuff, and the likes.  I ran malware scans to no end. I even tried preventing some of the service from starting to see if I can nip at it....NL... At behest of TS I even ran the Pre-release AIS...Same results.. If I uninstall SP1 all, Everything is OK. With SP1,at boot only the Web Browsing, email, FTP (the commonly used ports are blocked, with the exception of icmp) The secure ports however, are open, HTTPS, SFTP, SSL, etc are running normally.

SO, I take down the shield..count to 30..re-enable shield, ALL is well.  Everything works, common ports are accessible.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:31:23 PM by madmacs »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
This is weird.
I don't think Avast is really to blame, otherwise the forums should be flooded with angry posts to this symptom.

Did you try the trivial things one tends to not try because they are trivial: reinstall the browsers, delete the networking card from device manager and let it reinstall via reboot?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline madmacs

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
@Zyndstoff:

I agree, Avast works. It is something Microsoft is doing on SP1 that is not happening without it. Doesn't it seem like a resource contention conflict? Something Avast needs prior to launch? I have tried on both Ethernet network ports, both wireless and tethered...The same result.. I installed Chrome 10 sometime after the start of all this, to see if was the browser...The same.. But it also affect my email. I use Outlook all the time. I tried installing Thunderbird just to see...Same result.. So I took a crack at FTP, can't go wrong there. Right? I mean it's text based..Wrong...Same problem. So I tried the secure ports, they all seem to work. 

@Nesivos:
I forgot : Advance sharing settings....NetDis=On; F&P_Share=Off; PF_Share=Off; Media_Stre=On; FS_Conn =128; PassPro=On; HG_Conn=User_Acct_&_Pass=Enabled.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:35:25 PM by madmacs »

doktornotor

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
@madmacs: Any chance you could fix your writing so that you separate sentences by a single space like the rest of the world does, so that the text is actually easily readable?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »
It's too long to follow just from the beginning... sorry.
Seems to be a firewall/network issue? Anything was installed before AIS? How was it uninstalled?
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Something Avast needs prior to launch?

Have you tried to set avast to launch it's services only after other services have started?
(see screenshot, don't know the correct english wordings...)
Free MBAM Clear

Offline madmacs

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Seems to be a firewall/network issue? Anything was installed before AIS? How was it uninstalled?
I used Avast for years...I don't use anything else. So no other Security Software is used..none..
I uninstalled Via this recommendation below;
1. uninstall avast6 - you should use our removal utility ( http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe )
2. restart
3. Turn off Windows firewall
4. then clear all off-line content and cookies form your web browser and download our new pre-release
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74515
and install it.
After successful installation could you double click on you license file to register your copy of avast.
5. Turn on Windows firewall.

Thanks

Nesivos

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
@Nesivos Good day Sir,

I used Windows Update (CtrlPanel > Windows Update.)and Yes sir, SFC.   I little history.   I also uninstalled and re-installed SP1 several times at behest of my constituents here, via CP > Windows Update > Installed Updates and the result have always been the same.   I tried variations, removed AIS 1st, installed SP1, re-installed AIS.   I done Registry sweeps to make sure AIS is removed totally and that their are no other security programs running like, Norton, browser security stuff, and the likes.  I ran malware scans to no end.   I even tried preventing some of the service from starting to see if I can nip at it.  ...NL...    At behest of TS I even ran the Pre-release AIS.   ..Same results..   If I uninstall SP1 all, Everything is OK.    With SP1,at boot only the Web Browsing, email, FTP (the commonly used ports are blocked, with the exception of icmp)    The secure ports however, are open, HTTPS, SFTP, SSL, etc are running normally.

SO, I take down the shield..count to 30..re-enable shield, ALL is well.  Everything works, common ports are accessible.   

This is what I would do.

1. Uninstall SF1 and uninstall Avast.
2. Run SFC /SCANNOW.  If it is clean then go to step #3.  If it gives you errors that it can't fix then you need to fix them manually.  Once you get a clean SFC /SCANNOW
3. Go to "Control Panel"-------"Network and Sharing Center"---"Check advanced sharing settings" and let it run through its analysis.  Again let it do its thing.  If there are problems it can't fix then you will have to fix them manually.
4. If everything is clean then reinstall SP1.
5. Repeat steps #2 and #3,
6. If everything is clean then reinstall Avast

Will this solve your problem?  I don't know but based upon what you and others have posted about your problem this is how I would proceed.

Run SFC/SCANNOW. 

If it comes up clean then reinstall SFC/

It takes a while to run but you never know.  You could have some corrupted Windows files that might be causing the problem,.

Also after you have run SFC /SCANNOW both before and after the SP1 install I would suggest that you go to "Control Panel"-------"Network and Sharing Center"---"Check advanced sharing settings".

Nesivos

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
I used Avast for years...I don't use anything else. So no other Security Software is used..none..
I uninstalled Via this recommendation below;
1. uninstall avast6 - you should use our removal utility ( http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe )
2. restart
3. Turn off Windows firewall
4. then clear all off-line content and cookies form your web browser and download our new pre-release
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74515
and install it.
After successful installation could you double click on you license file to register your copy of avast.
5. Turn on Windows firewall.

Thanks

Did this work for you?

Offline madmacs

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
@Nesivos:  Sorry .. no!

I bow to Dr. Zyndstoff.  I was looking for something totally systemic and evasive when the obvious remedy is right in my eye. Bravo! 

Now I feel stupid.   Getting upset at nothing.

Thank you EVERYONE!!!   ALL you guys that helped me and offered solutions, are better than TS.   Bravo!!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:34:22 PM by madmacs »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
@Nesivos:  Sorry .. no!

I bow to Dr. Zyndstoff.  I was looking for something totally systemic and evasive when the obvious remedy is right in my eye. Bravo!  

Now I feel stupid.   Getting upset at nothing.

Thank you EVERYONE!!!   ALL you guys that helped me and offered solutions, are better the TS.   Bravo!!

I read your words as "Setting that one option worked for me, problem gone".
Is that so?
If so: glad we could help.

P.S. what is "...are better the TS"???
Free MBAM Clear

Offline madmacs

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
Yes, Professor Zyndstoff :  Your recommendation was my solution.  I didn't even think to go there.  As we agreed, Avast! was working, why troubleshoot.

Thank YOU!!

Oh! sorry, TS = Avast! Technical Support LV2

doktornotor

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
So, it works when you delay Avast services start? I really have hard time reading your posts.

P.S. If so, it still suggests some kind of conflict with something at startup.