Author Topic: [resolved] - Vrs 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox  (Read 3961 times)

_Rej_

Hi,

I've replaced my c:\user\[name]\Downloads folder to a mklink /j link to another HDD since I want to avoid unnecessary write/erase on my new SSD.

{outside sandbox}
When using FF outside the sandbox, I can download to that folder by choosing the Download link on the left side of the pane.

{INSIDE sandbox}
When using FF INSIDE the sandbox, I can download to that folder as well, BUT it won't save it outside the sandbox (won't transfer the file from the sandbox to the HDD)
As a matter of fact, if I look at the download window of FF, and select "open container folder", it does nothing at all.

I've selected the proper options so that the sandbox can detect the proper directories etc.  It just won't work on that one though.

Using Win7 x64

Regards,

R
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:38:46 AM by _Rej_ »

_Rej_

Re: Version 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox and...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »
Figured it out.

Needed to exclude some folders which aren't at their default locations anymore.  (I moved Win Temp, user Temp + some others to a physical mechanical HDD).

Once I excluded said folders, everything went back to normal.  Downloads Folder now works.

I can also read pdf files -- wasn't able before since it was trying to save a temporary copy to my m:\winTemp folder which isn't part of the non virtualized defaults.  Once I added m:\winTemp in the exclusion setting, the reads now work properly.

Hint.  I'd use the TEMP and TMP environment variables to determine what you can exclude or not from within the Avast application... this way they'd be automatically setup properly without having users exclude their new location if they're not the defaults.

^-- just a suggestion :)

cheers

R

P.S. I consider this resolved to my satisfaction

doktornotor

Re: Version 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox and...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
Needed to exclude some folders which aren't at their default locations anymore.  (I moved Win Temp, user Temp + some others to a physical mechanical HDD).
Once I excluded said folders, everything went back to normal.  Downloads Folder now works.

Exclusing %TEMP% is extremely bad idea. That is where all the stuff unpacks when you install something.

_Rej_

Re: [resolved-kinda] - Vrs 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:06:48 AM »
Starting to wonder as well.  When I think about it, if an adware unpacks in the %TEMP%, it does so *outside* the sandbox right now (with my exclusions).

The issue though is that if I *don't* exclude the %TEMP%, foxit reader cannot read any pdf from Firefox.  Everytime it does try, it gives me a message saying.. "cannot find m:\userTemp\xyz.pdf for reading."   The only way I found to fix it was to exclude my new %TEMP%.

If you have a more secure option, I'd love to hear any suggestions on it :)

Thanks for letting me know.. I'll probably revert back to defaults (except perhaps the "Downloads" since it won't work at all without it).

Regards,

R

_Rej_

Re: [resolved] - Vrs 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
I've fixed the "Downloads" folder issue by using the registry trick.  It works now without me having to exclude the directory.

Now this is an entirely new problem (Foxit Reader unable to read pdf files from FF while in Sandbox.)

I reset the excludes to none to keep the philosophy of the sandbox.

I'll consider this problem fixed since the "Downloads" directory issue was the original one.  I'll open a new thread for the foxit reader.exe issue.

Regards,

R

doktornotor

Re: [resolved-kinda] - Vrs 1044. Bug when downloading from within sandbox
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Starting to wonder as well.  When I think about it, if an adware unpacks in the %TEMP%, it does so *outside* the sandbox right now (with my exclusions).

The issue though is that if I *don't* exclude the %TEMP%, foxit reader cannot read any pdf from Firefox.  Everytime it does try, it gives me a message saying.. "cannot find m:\userTemp\xyz.pdf for reading."   The only way I found to fix it was to exclude my new %TEMP%.

If you have a more secure option, I'd love to hear any suggestions on it :)

You should exclude a dedicated folder intended for downloads. (Such as, say, D:\Downloads or whatever). Not system %TEMP% - this one should remain virtualized. And save your downloads there. If it still doesn't work, the sandbox has a bug. Not familiar w/ the sandbox in Avast, but sandboxie has a feature called quick recovery. It initially virtualizes the above D:\Downloads or whatever you configure, when the download is completed, it will prompt you whether you want the file recovered from sandbox to the live filesystem location.

Wrt PDFs - yeah these need to be treated within sandbox code if you use a browser plugin to display them. If you set up the PDF reader so that it opens its own window and does not display the PDF in browser, the problem should be gone. Again, the above valid and tested with sandboxie, not with avast.  ;)

_Rej_

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Wrt PDFs - yeah these need to be treated within sandbox code if you use a browser plugin to display them. If you set up the PDF reader so that it opens its own window and does not display the PDF in browser, the problem should be gone. Again, the above valid and tested with sandboxie, not with avast.  ;)

For the Downloads, I fixed it & I've removed *all* exclusions from my settings now.  (You can move the Default Download Location in the registry).

For the PDF, I'll give that a shot! (opening a separate window for reading).  I'll report back soon.

thanks for the suggestion...

Regards,

R

_Rej_

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
Wrt PDFs - yeah these need to be treated within sandbox code if you use a browser plugin to display them. If you set up the PDF reader so that it opens its own window and does not display the PDF in browser, the problem should be gone. Again, the above valid and tested with sandboxie, not with avast.  Wink

You were right!  It works when I have it display the pdf *outside* the browser.   ;D

Thanks tons for the suggestions.   I can say I don't have an issue anymore. /cheers

So a big *thank you* for the tip.  Much appreciated!

Regards,

R

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
So a big *thank you* for the tip.  Much appreciated!

YAW. Good that it works now.  ;)